13

Diego pov

Xavier and I are lounging in the living room with the rest of our brothers. We're all sitting in silence waiting for Roberto to come down and tell us.

Tell us whether Sophia is really dead or not.

Xander came into her room in the morning, wanting to give her breakfast in bed, but she wasn't breathing. Dad had other doctors look at her because he didn't want to give Marco the job of assessing his mother and figuring out if she has really died or not.

He hasn't said anything since then. None of us have. What are we meant to say? It's not like we can just go on with our lives without knowing if we are going to have a mother figure or not.

Our silence is interrupted by a car revving down the driveway. We all share a look and shoot out of our seats. Gio murmurs something into the intercoms, and we all pile outside of the house.

We stand at the end of the driveway, as a red sports car drives down. It's covered in bullet holes, and the windows are cracked. I don't recognise the car and neither does anyone else. Why would the guards let it in?

The car windows are tinted, so we are unable to see who's driving. As soon as the car comes to a stop, everyone has their guns out. I hear footsteps behind us, meaning the rest of the family has joined us.

The drivers door slowly opens but nobody gets out.

At least not straight away.

We all wait a few moments, waiting for something to happen.

The suspenseful silence is quickly disturbed by a series of coughs.

Then a body drags itself out of the car and lands on the gravel. My eyes widen at the body.

At Adrianna's body.

She's covered in blood, and can barely lift her head to look at us. Is she alone in the car? How did she even drive in this condition? Did this happen to her while she escaped? How did she escape?

Questions swarm my head but they're immediately silenced when someone shoves their way to the front.

I look to my right and I see Knox standing there wide eyed. He's in shock. Adrianna coughs again and it seems to snap him out is the trance.

He runs towards her and lifts her into his arms. He's whispering things to her but nobody can make out what he's saying.

Just as he's about to walk towards the infirmary, a light voice comes from the back of the car.

"Daddy?! Is that you?"

He freezes.

Roberto finally shows himself, and takes Adrianna out of Knox's arms and runs towards the infirmary.

But Knox still hasn't moved. It's like he hasn't even registered that Adrianna isn't even in his arms anymore.

His eyes are glazed over and his whole body is stiff.

And who called him daddy?

Knox pov

"Daddy?! Is that you?"