14: Lie

I got ready to hangout with Baji. I put on a black skinny jean, a gray turtleneck t-shirt with long sleeves and a black jacket, and I wear my black boots. My hair is short, it barley come down to my shoulders, and I couldn't think of a style, so I just let it be.

Baji came to pick me up around seven. "Wow you look pretty!" he complemented me, standing in front of the door. "I know right! I look pretty in everything!" I answered with confidence. "Yeah, if I hade your confident I could rule the fucking world!"
We sat on his bike and he drive to our ice cream shop. It's ours because we grow up there, eating ice cream and playing in the nearby jungle park. I get my favourite flavour, chocolate with brownies and Kei ordered a vanilla flavour.

We sat on a bench somewhere isolated. I didn't protest because I knew he's serious and he wanna talk about something important. "So what are you wanna talk about?" I asked while eating my ice cream. "Yeah, right...I was gonna tell you the truth" he said, putting his ice cream down on the bench.
"What truth?"
"You know we have a gang right? and Mikey is the leader"
"Yeah...I know that...so?"
"We were six people who found the tokyo manji gang or as we call it Toman, Mikey, Draken, me and three others. One of them was Hanemiya Kazutora."
Baji looked me in the eyes, hesitating to talk. "So what happened?" I asked. He sighed and looked another way, "that guy is in juvenile detention".

"Oh no, did he done something bad?...did he done it for the gang?"
"No, it wasn't for the gang or it was? I'm not sure... but we didn't know, I swear..." Baji said with tears falling from his eyes.
I put down the ice cream and faced him. "I can't understand what happened? Why are you crying Kei? Please don't cry..." I said with teary eyes. I can't stand my best friend breaking down in front on me. I slide closer to him on the bench and tried to hug him, but he refused and wiped away his tears.

"I was there too, in juvenile detention. We planned to steal Mikey's dream bike from a motorbike shop, but we didn't know the owner. And the owner cut us stealing. Kazutora hit him in the back of his head with something and he died. He didn't make it."

I didn't know what to say, but I put my hand on his shoulder to reassure him, it's ok. His tears didn't stopped and he didn't look in my way. "Sam..."!he said my name with such pain, i could feel my heart breaks. "Please Kei don't cry"

He looked at me, he's breathing was unstable and his eyes were red from crying. "That guy we killed was Shinichiro Sano..." he said and hold his head in his hands. I froze in shock, couldn't believe what I heard. My hand dropped from his shoulder. "don't fuck with me Kei, I swear to god if it is a prank I'm gonna kill you" I said with a serious voice and tried to breathe.
He looked at me again "I wish it was...I always wish I wake up from this nightmare and big bro Shino be there scolding us because we came home late" he burst into tears again.

I couldn't breathe. It's a lie, I thought to myself. "Don't lie Keisuke, STOP LYING YOU DUMBASS..." I screamed standing up in front of him. He stood up, pulled me into a hug "I'm sorry, I swear I didn't know"
I wanted to hit him but I couldn't lift a finger. My heart hurts and I couldn't breathe.
He put his hand on my shoulders and pull me out of his arms, "Shino is dead"

I broke into tears and sat down on the ground, I didn't care. My hero was dead and I just found out, I hate myself for it.
I thought of Mikey, he must have been in a lot of pain. And I wasn't there for him. I thought about how sad he was this morning and I realised something, maybe he wanted to talk about the same thing, maybe he wanted to tell me about his brother and his pain, but I rejected him and said I have plans which is more important then him.
I jumped from the ground looked Baji in the eyes and start running without telling him anything.