19. Closer

"What do you have going on today?" Taehyung asked when he heard Jungkook stride into the kitchen, composed and dressed in shorts and a big t-shirt.

He was making breakfast and trying so hard to be normal. To act like he didn't care.

Oh, but he did. Maybe a little too much, if he was being honest.

His back was facing the younger and he was making omelets, moving through the kitchen with a strange sense of ease and capability. Which didn't go unnoticed by Jungkook, who sat at the island perched on a bar stool.

"I don't have much planned I guess," he said as he ran a hand through his half-wet hair.

"I am so behind on everything," he smiled regretfully, "but I was kind of thinking I might go to the beach," he ad-libbed his plans, trying to make it seem like he had planned it all along.

Taehyung hummed, and doled out the omelets onto plates, sliding one over the island to Jungkook with a mug of coffee, "It's okay to take some time off," he murmured.

"I guess," Jungkook conceded, sounding skeptical. He stared off into space, not meeting Taehyung's eyes.

"Wanna come?" he blurted out.

Taehyung stopped chewing and looked at him in surprise. He nodded silently.

"Okay," he slowly agreed. What are you doing, Taehyung?

Jungkook felt smug all of a sudden.
"My assistant had my convertible shipped over, so I thought I would drive it up to Malibu. There's a quiet beach there," he explained animatedly.

Taehyung nodded numbly, taking it all in. Was this a date?

"It'll be fun! I know the water is cold, but it's nice to just sit, or walk," he bargained, sensing Taehyung's hesitation.

"Okay," Taehyung finally said, "It'll be fun," he conceded.

Jungkook looked at him quizzically, "You don't have to," he offered, shrugging, "No big deal." What was his problem right now?

"I want to," Taehyung assured.

The two finished their breakfast chatting on and off amicably. Taehyung kept his face neutral, unbothered. Stoic, even.

He tried really, really hard not to spend all of his time making heart eyes at Jungkook.

It became easier when Jungkook's phone started buzzing. And didn't stop.

Jimin. Jimin. Jimin. Kelly. Jimin again. Namjoon. Jimin. Mom.

Jungkook turned it over after the first few times, but it just kept going off.

The buzzing was making Taehyung tense, to say the least. What was going on? Was everything okay? Did this have something to do with the bruises all across Jungkook's face?

"Do you need to get that?" he asked, looking at the phone pointedly.

Jungkook flushed, but shook his head, "No," he said blandly, without elaborating. He worked hard to keep himself void of emotion. It felt like a wave crushing him.

"Really?" Taehyung pressed, "It seems like someone is really trying to reach you. Aren't you worried?" he asked, adding another item to the list of confusing things about Jungkook.

Jungkook shook his head again, lips set in a thin frown, "I am not worried," he replied carefully, voice firm and steady.

"Okay, well, I'll just use the bathroom and then we can go?" Taehyung asked, brushing the misgivings aside in favor of spending more time with him. Together.