Chapter 3: The calm before the storm

Start from the beginning

-You're serious?, she asked me looking amused with the situation. I guess it is. A big bad guy, with cereal addiction. Very mature of your part Steven.

-I'm disposed to fight against my addiction and buy more healthy food if you're disposed to eat it, I told her putting back the box with a playful smirk.

-Not even in your dreams! Bring the Cheerios, I'm starving!, she told me getting down of the counter and going straight to the fridge to get some milk.

-Ok, I'm not gonna argue against that sis, I said pouring cereal in two bowls. She sat again on the counter, pouring some milk on top of her breakfast and grabbing a spoon. I rested my back on the counter and did exactly the same, almost dying of pleasure with every bite of cereal.

-Wow, you were not kidding when you said you were addicted, she told me with her brows raised, watching my expression.

-I'm surprised you don't remember my cereal addiction. I particulary remember your ice cream addiction.

-Well it's easier for you to remember. I was just 8 last time we saw each other. You, instead, were 25. Your brain was somehow more developed than mine, she said with a giggle.

-Yeah, I guess you're right. So you don't remember me at all?, I asked feeling a little hurt.

-How could I not remember you at ALL Steve? Don't be silly. Of course I do, but some details like your food addictions, your favorite football team, etc etc etc skip my mind for obvious reasons. So we should catch up, don't you think?, she said scooping some cereal into her mouth.

-Ok, shall I start?, I asked her. She nodded with her mouth full of Cheerios, Fine ummm... well besides that I'm a cereal addicted... oh well you sure don't know that I work with the HPD now...

-You're a cop?!, she yelled shocked spitting out some cereal in the process.

-Jill!, I chastised handing her a napkin.

-Sorry, she mumbled rubbing the napkin against her mouth, expecting for me to continue with the news.

-I'm not exactly a cop. I lead a special government squad that deals with major problems, and we collaborate with the HPD cases, I explained softly for her to understand me.

-I don't understand Stevie, she told me while looking at me with those big green eyes, I mean I know you went to that military school but I always thought you'd end up doing something different you know. Mom told me you always wanted to go to college since you were little...

-Jill it's not that simple. Yeah I had a scholarship because of football but... I've always seen myself more like m... our dad, y'know. I think I'm really good at it and I have a great team. I actually brought someone back from New Jersey..., I trailed off with a smile for her to take the hint. Of course she did, she's really smart.

-No way! Danny? For real? I haven't seen him in years. I remember he was good looking though, she said and looked away to hide her evident flushed cheeks.

-And married. Please don't tell me you have a crush on him sis, I said starting to wash the dishes to drive off my nerves. Nobody wants to hear when your sister is in love with one of your friends, even if it is ridiculous.

-Well I was just 5 I think. He had come to visit you in Hawaii and me as well with mom, and when I met him he was nice. I remember he played with me and my dolls. He was actually very nice.

-Yeah, until he accidentally broke one of your doll's shoes and you went crazy, I said giving her a pointed look. She dropped her head with the memory and I smiled slightly amused.