Part 50

The gravel clattered onto the oak block followed by the yelling of a rough voice echoing the single word sending the court into a growing silence. The court had begun.

All the nobility of Eramada were seated in the ballroom. The dark brown table etching towards the hem of the throne and to the end of the marble ballroom. Azrael sat up his back leaning against the green and gold embroidered throne. Waiting; listening to the rustle of the court members. Marcus, Aiden and Rayleen seated to his right tapped their quills on the desk waiting for his introduction. The Baron and several Lords filled the row down the table on Azrael's right. All coming to terms with the introduction he was bound to begin.

Azrael placed his hands on the oak table pressing himself up and out of his decorated throne. A quiet hush fell across the table as the Lords, Dukes and remaining court members' eyes slid towards the King standing with his hands firmly placed on the table.

"Welcome Court." Azrael divulged. Venturing into familiar waters. "May the court proceedings begin," Azrael sat, lifting his hands off the oak table exhaling heavily.

"We have 1,457 soldiers remaining near the Kelece River. Athrolilan forces have not yet engaged with the force," A court member articulated down the table to his left, nearing the end of the marble. The man's grey beard twitched as Azrael's green eyes fixated upon him from down the table.

Azrael peered through his brown hair, his green eyes were fixated on his court. He snickered at them. Azrael pulled the green cuff back on his shirt. He stared blankly at the remaining court members. They returned the gaze. He lifted his chin to them. "Good," His words were empty.

His eyes shifted towards Aiden his black hair ruffled and falling over his silver eyes. A pure work of his like-minded father. Aiden sat forward and placed his hands on the table surveying the court before beginning. "Two and a half weeks ago we received information regarding Athrolilan forces. An insider claims that the army has been heavily preparing for engagement on the return of the missing Princess,"

A ruffle of muffled voices broke the echo of Aiden's voice. The court became unsettled at the news.

"Missing Princess?" Several orotund voices echoed throughout the marble ballroom.

"The Athrolilan Princess' whereabouts has been deemed unknown as she has yet to be displayed to the Athrolilan people for several months now," Aiden responded sending hums and hushed chatter down the table.

"Whose the insider?" A court member exclaimed. Agreements followed. "How can we trust them?"

"A General placed on the outskirts of the boarders of Athrolila have been providing us with this information," Aiden acknowledged glancing at Azrael. His crown glinting on his head.

"How do we know that this information is deemed valuable?" The Baron inquired. "Only if it provides to be true?"

"Even a worm will turn," Azrael intersected, his hands rubbing together from underneath the table. An attempt to wipe the sweat off it. "Right when we invade in less than two months remind you these worms will provide use to us. Enough coin can turn the most loyal on their own. Their selfishness will win us this war,"

"Hurrah," The Court members recited. Some resorted to hitting their fists on the oak table.

Azrael opened his arms out to them to calm them down. "Thank you, gentlemen," A smile poked through his impassiveness "Ladies control your husbands," A chuckle erupted from the women at the table many of whom are the lovers, mistresses, wives or consorts of the men in the ballroom. Azrael patted his open arms to them to continue to settle the women who are now laughing at their flustered lovers. As the silence began to grow in the room Azrael sat back down on his throne.