Part 25

A hallowing scream awoke Azrael. He jolted up sitting on the end of his bed. His crown glinting in the morning sun. The red pillow shaking as he jolted. Azrael placed the crown upon his head and shrugged on his cape. The end of the green hem almost getting caught in his bare feet. 

Azrael stammered down the hallway as the echoing scream pieced through the walls again. Doors unlocking as he walked passed. Half awoken people glancing down the hallway as he swiftly walked past them. 

A reached the circular archway. The white marble covered with a circular green rug. The open windows shining the yellow light onto the soft green fabric sprawled beneath his feet.

"In here your Highness," A solider appeared from behind a corner, his arm pointing towards a open door. His green and sliver amour bouncing the morning sun of it. The green chest plate a symbol of what Azrael stood for. His father's rule, that he had to uphold.

The melting candles near the end of the wick, flickered as Azrael walked passed. The open window's curtains were still blowing in the gentle breeze. Azrael followed the calm solider as he climbed the stairs and turned a left. The 4th door down the Courts room.

The general's door was wide open. Many guards were stationed from outside the door. There solemn look on their faces and their overly pale, sickly faces, signaled something was wrong. Very wrong.

"Please move," His ruff morning voice signaled as he raised his hand. The wave of crowed people moved as Azrael stepped into the general's room.

The last of the burning red ashes in the fire place being blown out by the breeze the open window whispered to Azrael. Azrael looked up from the fireplace. 

He cursed horribly.

                                                                   ~ 

Evelynn awoke to the sun in her face. She raised her hands above her head and pulled the satin sheets off her. She placed her hand underneath the satin pillow and retrieved the needle point dagger, she had washed the night before.

She flipped it between her fingers. "What if they come looking?" She mumbled to herself. Evelynn stood aimlessly for a moment and opened her bedroom drawer. A wooden box with a small silver lock rattled as she placed it on her bed. She fiddled with the lock and then opened it. An array of knives and daggers shone in the box. Evelynn placed the dagger in the box, and locked it. Evelynn placed the box in her arms and carried it to the corner of her room. 

She fiddled with the floorboard near her wardrobe and it lifted from the floors boards. The box she held one of many. Different sizes filled the bottom of the hidden floor. With weapons and amour. Embordered with navy blue and sliver. Crowns shone underneath the oak floorboards. Evelynn placed the box of knives and daggers into the floorboard and pressed the board back into its original position. The darkness covered the crowns once again.

Evelynn raised herself and took a step back. Her legs leaning on the bed. The floorboards neatly placed like their wasn't a design fault that would rise suspicion, of others. Evelynn walked to the her door, and pressed the lock into place. The subtle click underneath her fingertips triggered the memories of last night.

Evelynn stumbled backwards and fell onto the bed. The blue sheets crinkled underneath her weight. Her nightgown wrapped and rubbed around her. The white lace and baby blue dress stained with old tears. The damp pillow that she rested her head on fell off the bed and pattered onto the floor. With a creak Evelynn sat up and held her heavy head in her hands.

The memory of last night shattered pieces in Evelynn's mind. The feeling of the knife in Evelynn's hand moments before she held his.

                                                                     ~ 

Azrael pulled the blood sodden sheets of the general. The man's neck split horizontally. The split flesh like a curtain pulled back from the stage of bone. Azrael's blood boiled. His hands gripped into fists, his knuckles going white. His throat became stuck, and bobbled. Azrael planted his feet and surveyed the room. The growing stench of dried blood and the taste of ash filled Azrael's tongue and nose. The pearl white bedsheets were a dried crimson red. The pillow case held the puddle of blood underneath the general's neck.

The open window brought in a gust of wind.

The cool breeze picked up Azrael's cape. The green ankle length cape lifted off the blood sodden carpet. Azrael turned to the guards. His back to the dead general.

"Find them," He gritted through his teeth. Azrael placed his hand at the back of his neck, rubbing it. "Get everyone to report to me, that was on the 3rd floor last night. No exceptions," He huffed. Azrael lifted his chin and stepped away from the bed. Turning he faced the general's wife. Her  tightly pressed lips gave a sign to Azrael. She looked down as she picked at her nails. Her wide eyes where covered by her gray hair. 

Azrael cupped his hands over hers. She looked up at him. Tears welled in her eyes.

"Please your highness, find him." She blubbered her gray eyes looking up at him like he had some sort of power. Azrael bit his tears back, knowing there wasn't much he could do. But in that moment he made a promise to her.  Azrael nodded and walked out.

                                                                           ~

Evelynn raised the blade above her and threw it across the training room. The empty room echoed the sound of the blade indenting itself into the target. 

Evelynn reached across the table for the next blade. Again and again she threw it with precision and on target. Every throw released the anger.

Again

She pieced the target. 

Again.

And wood splintered as the metal blade slid itself into the wood.

Again.

Her face burned. Evelynn's knees grew weak. She flipped the blade in her hand and threw it again. 

Again.

Evelynn whimpered and fell onto the mat. Her calloused hands running threw her unbraided hair.

Tomorrow was day she will be sent home.