"Spence, how are you? Did you bring my drink?" Yeah.. that's my nickname. Original, I know.

      "Another fine day. And of course! Black coffee with a shot of vodka. Still don't know how you can stomach that." I don't judge his drink of choice. We all can use a boost and his artwork is immaculate. I've learned so much. A lot of times I get to sit in on his tattoos. Or he'll teach me new techniques when it's just us.

      "Its like watered down coffee. You forget where I am from?" He has a big smile on his face, teasing me a bit.

      "Oh no, I could never. Your accent is too obvious."  He drops his smile but after a moment we're both laughing.

      "Ah, Spence, I know I've told you before, but you really bring some sun to my shop." Don't laugh, I can be sunny.

      "It's because I love and appreciate this job, makes it easier to come to work."

       "You're a perfect fit. When is your first costumer?"

      "Um" I hesitate while I check my watch. Yes I'm actually wearing a watch. "Not for another half hour. You?"

      "Eh not till 11. Plenty of time for my coffee." He stands up and goes to his office. I may have half an hour but I do have to set everything up, getting the colors and needles ready to work. This is where I get in the zone. I set up a playlist as I get to work, getting lost in some designs as I wait for my first customer.

———————

      "Another great day at work! And five more happy customers for me."

      "You are fantastic Spence, really. A happy customer for you, is a happy customer for me."

       I laugh, he really isn't this serious about work. In all honesty, if you met this guy outside a bar, you might be afraid to approach him. Guy is a giant. And I'm not just saying that because I'm short. He's an easy six foot and pretty buffed up. Between the military and the brief stint in jail that he admitted to me, he has some seriously impressive tattoos, too.

      Overall, he comes across as your typical intimidating dude. He's the epitome of don't judge a book by its cover; he's really a total teddy bear. I once saw him take a spider outside after finding it in his office.

      Also, he makes sure I get home safe everyday after work. I've been to their house for dinner on numerous occasions when I've let it slip I'd be having a TV dinner by myself. It's kind of like a dad honestly, or maybe a big brother? Nah. A dad. And I know he has two daughters who hardly visit so I think he just needs to put that overprotectiveness somewhere. I don't mind. It's nice to know someone cares.

        No! I have not lost my touch with cooking. I'm still a boss in the kitchen. I still love to cook. It's kind of hard to just cook for one, ya know? And very sad, if I'm being honest. So I cook to keep my skills up, not to keep me fed. Plus, I'm not in Greece anymore, the cuisine here is a tad different.

      "Tell me you have some actual plans for dinner tonight?" Red breaks me out of my thoughts.

      "Uh, yeah. Yeah, of course." I stumble out. He's not buying it.

       He gives me that fatherly look (it's the only good way to describe it. Like a glare but softer? Ugh, you know what I mean.) "Spencer, you're coming to our house for dinner. Come on. Grab your stuff."

   He ends the conversation by grabbing his stuff and walking towards the door. I grab my bag and scramble after him. My legs are short. Leave me alone.

      "Are you sure Melina won't mind? I don't want to be a burden."

      "Please. Melina lives for this." I give him the side eye, cause really? "Okay, it may not be her favorite. But she does love when you come over, says it fills the house more."

       This makes me smile. I don't know how I get so lucky to find these hidden gems around the world. "Well, how can I say no to that?"

————————

      We somehow made it to his house in the middle of nowhere alive. His driving skills leave little to be desired. But I don't complain. Could be worse. Could have to walk.

      After the brief stint in the chill, we are engulfed in the warmth the house offers. I enjoy that they like to keep the house so warm. I'm firstly greeted by a pig. This is not new to me.

      "Hello Alexei! Who's a good boy?" I coo at him as I pet his head. Some may find it weird to have pet pigs, especially named after one of the owners, but I think it's original. And these pigs are smart as fuck. I've seen one open a door. Thought I was drunk at first but apparently it's normal for them. Melina is a very good trainer.

      "Melina?" Red calls out to his wife, trying to warn her of the company he brought along.

      "In the kitchen dear."

      "I found some street thug and figured they could use a meal." He looks at me and winks. Such a dad.

      Melina doesn't buy it though, immediately knowing I was the stranger he brought along. "Spencer! It's so nice to see you. I hope you're hungry, I've made enough for the army."

      I laugh. "So you have enough for Alexei?" She laughs, he looks at me wounded. "Oh come on Red, you know I'm only messing. Besides you did call me a street thug!"

      "Ah, I know you're full of love. Like a puppy." I'm not entirely sure if that's a compliment but I do believe he meant it as one. I'll take it.

       We plate up some food and sit at the table, making small talk. Melina talking about the pigs and Alexei and I telling of the tattoos we had to do today.

      "Oh! Dear, I almost forgot to tell you. Yelena is coming by next week. Says she has some free time and wants to stay for a bit."

      My ears perk up and sit up a little straighter from my slouch, which Melina usually calls me out for. They've talked about their daughters vaguely, not because they aren't proud, you can tell they are, but I think it hurts that they don't see them that often. I'm glad one is going to be here for them.

       I'm also seriously curious to see who their kid is. Melina and Alexei are something special and I've only been able to imagine what their kids would be like. Literally. They have no pictures anywhere. Might seem alarming to some, but it's just not their thing, I guess.

      "Wonderful! It's about time one of our daughters actually came to see us. She can help us, check out the town, the shop. Hey! Hey! Maybe Spence here can show her around."

      Hm he has a very mischievous look to him right now. He's up to something.

      "Uhuh... You know I'd do anything for you guys. I'd love to show her the best spots."

       "Then it's settled. Once she arrives, we'll let you two figure out when works best." He's looking at Melina now. For approval? She doesn't give away anything.

       "Uh yeah, I can't wait to meet her."