F o u r t y - F o u r

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, but I bet he's famous, right?" Scott said, putting his hands to his hips. "Just tell me his name," he said again, impatiently as his hands were crossed against his chest again.

"His name is Nick," I said, leaving out the last name. "And he is famous, yes, a singer, on tour right now, so I can't let him be with me all the time, putting a limit on his work," I explained, hoping Scott would understand. "I don't want him to feel pressure and feel as if I'm being possessive of him and like... needy."

Scott didn't say anything, so I continued. "I think you will like him, of course, but he's—"

"He's Nick Jonas, right?" Scott cut, making me very surprised. 

"Er—"

"It's Nick Jonas, right?" Scott said again, leaning on his toes. "I mean, who else is a singer, going on tour right now, that goes by the name of Nick? Answer me, Kendall, he's Jonas, right?"

"Yes, yes, it's him," I said, groaning a little that Scott knew now. I was planning on letting him find out with everyone else in this world, but I guess him being Kourtney's children's dad, makes him really important... or something.

I was hoping to see some kind of disgusted look on Scott's face, but he just clicked his tongue and looked out into the mountains. "I mean... I don't like him, but yeah, I think he's very cool—"

"Scott, you've never even met him," I said, sort of stating it out.

"Yes, Kendall, I know I haven't, so don't make me wanna hate him for not being here because you know how important it is for Kris to get to know what might even be the father of your child," Scott said, making me scoff a little. "Either way, Kendall, you still have to tell him that he can't be like this, cause your mom is a little pissed."

I raised my eyebrows, "Why's she pissed, she hasn't got anything to be pissed about, he's not even family."

"Yet."

I rolled my eyes. "Even though, he's got loads of other things to do than just hang out with us in this stupid family dinner!" I yelled, lashing out. "He would rather be out there, doing stuff he enjoys, than being here around people that hate him!" 

Scott sighed. "Kendall, I don't hate your stupid boyfriend."

I threw my hands in the air, trying to prove a point. "He's not stupid, you guys are the one who's being stupid, so shut up before I leave!" I said, my nostrils flaring. Scott kept calm. "OK, I'm sorry, we're all sorry, but you can't blame us for being upset at him, because we were all looking forward to seeing this guy," he said, making me calm down.

"If you wanted to see him so much, why can't you understand the fact that he is about to lose his fucking house?" I said in a low dangerous voice.

"Because I didn't know that!" Scott said as I turned to the back door. "You should've told us that— Kendall, everyone's mad at him for not coming, why don't you go in there and tell them the main reason why he wasn't there, huh?"

I rolled my eyes, "Fine, I will. Just don't ever say anything about Nick because you all don't even know him. He's the nicest guy ever, and to be honest with you," I said, turning to Scott. "I don't think I want him to mix with our kind too much. We're a bad influence on his nice, pure, warm-hearted, soul."

I know it was harsh, but it was the truth, and if they couldn't accept the truth... They don't deserve to meet him at all.

* * *

If I knew I would bump into mom the second I got inside, I would have chosen to stay outside. Mom had this hawk-like look on her face where her eyebrows stuck up like... a hawk. She was just standing there, giving me that face.