You Came to See Him?

Momiji finished his last note, keeping his eyes closed.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Tohru who then tapped on the window, making Momiji open his eyes to look back too.

"Tohru?" Momiji said, placing his violin to the table next to him as he went to open the sliding door. "I wasn't expecting to see you tonight. What are you doing here-?"

I cut Momiji off, placing a hand on his shoulder and then walking past him to Tohru.

"You ok? Tohru?" I asked as I snapped my fingers, trying to get the girls attention.

Her face was saddening as she looked to the ground beneath her.

"Come on in!" Momiji said, and Tohru stepped inside.

I looked down to her skirt and saw some dirt.

"Oh, great. What did you do to get here? Crawl through a garden?" I asked with a small chuckle.

I shook her skirt and swiped the dirt off.

I looked up and she still wasn't in a good mood.

"Tohru, hey, c'mon. Snap out of it." I softly said.

She realized in a quick instant but then she kept looking to the ground, making it look like she was holding back tears.

"Momiji... the violin. I never knew you played it." Tohru said, with a very soft-spoken tone as I could tell she was holding back her emotions... from what though?

"Yeah! I've been slacking off since I started high school, though." Momiji stuck out his tongue while winking. "And I recently quit lessons I'd been taking for years."

"You stopped your lessons?" Tohru asked.

I sat down on Momiji's bed as I listened, not wanting to interrupt the two unless I was spoken of in the conversation.

"That's too bad..." Tohru replied to his answer. "But, you're not gonna stop playing, are you?"

"It's Momo." Momiji gently smiled. "She starting taking lessons from the teacher I had. So, Papa said he wanted me to stop my lessons."

Momo?

I tried thinking of the name but... I couldn't figure it out.

The closest conclusion I could think of was, maybe, his little sister... the one we talked about earlier.

"The truth is he's scared. He's afraid of me getting close to Mama and Momo." Momiji kept a smile, yet, you could just see his pain. "Because if that happened... I might just destroy the happy life they have now. The one he worked so hard to rebuild. And I wouldn't want that either, I'm scared too, that I'll hurt her if I see her."

"But, what if... what if Momo wanted to see you." Tohru asked.

That's what she came here for, I could just tell. She most likely was trying to get into the Sohma estate but ran into Momo.

I'm not exactly sure why Tohru would come here in the first place if that's not the case...

"I saw her today." Yep, knew it. "She was actually the one who lead me to your house. They've kept you separate, but... even so, she's always known about you. She stood there, watching you, day after day!"

I knew it was something to do with Momo. It just had to be, by the way she was bringing the girl up.

"She's been out there all this time! Just like how you've always been there, watching over her, she's been here, listening to you play the violin!" Tohru wasn't letting this subject go. "She wishes she could talk to you and play with you. She wanted me to ask if you'd be her big brother!"

Tohru completely lost it, falling to her knees.

She worried me by doing that, so I made my way, quickly, over to her. Placing my hands on her shoulders she rested her head on mine.

Momiji was stunned, maybe even dazed. Whatever it was, he was just standing there, taking it all in as his eyes appeared glossy.

"So then, it was true." Momiji's cracky voice was showing. "Papa said he was worried that Momo had taken notice of me. Oh, no."

The Lemon brought his hands up to his mouth, "I feel so... happy."

I felt my tears give up and fall, I tried holding them back, but I couldn't.

"My dream is to become a professional violinist." Momiji continued. "And when I'm able to do that, then I'll have a small, private concert, with no one but Papa, Mama, and Momo to watch me play."

The tears that glided down my face were real, every last bit. I rubbed my hands on my face, wiping the tears away.

"I have to see him, no matter what." Tohru silently said.

"Huh? What was that?" Momiji asked, wanting to know. "Who did you come to see?"

"Kureno." Tohru spoke softly as her tears fell.

"So... why didn't you tell me the other night." I asked abruptly.

The only answer I got was the tilt of her head as she looked up at me.

"That night, you asked me about Kureno... what's going on between you and him? I didn't think you knew each other, other than being acquaintances." I continued.

"It's for a friend." Answered Tohru. "Uochan."

"Really?" Momiji added. "Y'know, I don't think anyone really ever comes to see him."

I nodded to Momiji's comment, knowing the well and sad truth about Kureno.

He's such a hard worker, and he's being held here like some captive animal, even though he says he's fine with it.

I know he's not...

The poor rooster.