Chapter 92

It was a sunny day and everywhere you look you could feel the festivity in the air. Brightly colored banderitas were hung in the air, the street was bustling from the large number of vendors that cramp up the space, the people were in high spirits and look like spring has befallen on them.

(AN: Banderitas are typically seen in festivals, they are cut up fabrics or sometimes wrappers from snacks hung up in the air to symbolize the festivity)

August coincides with our anniversary and it is also the perfect time for us to go to the perya that was just built near my friend's house, Jeline.

Perya were built a month or two before the fiesta of some place began and I have been going to Perya since I was little with my family. I remember riding the horror train with my brothers and cried after being spooked by the poorly designed costumes of the staff and my brother telling me that they would come when I sleep.

(AN: Perya" is a nod to the unique place of carnivals in Philippine culture and society. The "perya" is an instrument of thrill and fun for everyone)

I texted Eric letting him know that we would celebrate our anniversary with a carnival date. He answered positively and soon I went downstairs to tell my mother about my plans for later.

"Ma, I'm going with Eric to the perya this afternoon"

"Why?" She cocked her brows and I was embarrassed to tell her the reason, she clearly knew it but wanted me to say it out loud.

Mom knew about our relationship and how we started, she also knew that I have been too doubtful of Eric and understands it but advises me to trust him because a relationship without trust is like a house without a good foundation.

"Just... because!" I stomp my feet on the floor and ran upstairs hearing the echoes of laughter from below.

It didn't take long for the sun to fell into slumber and the streets resemble the street of New York at night after the Perya officially operates.

"Ahh!" I screamed out loud after being softly pierced by something on my waist and to my anger, it was Eric.

I punch him in his arm while he laughed, I glared at him after seeing him surrendering and harrumphed at his poor excuse.

"Hey, I'll bring you free food" he ran away and went towards an old man's direction where he was standing in line.

He then put the large pink cotton candy on my hand and I rolled my eyes at him but felt sweet inwardly. I ripped the corner and tasted the familiar sweetness and the slightly rough texture from the sugar.

"Here, do you want some?" I thought he was going to take it from my hand but he directly bit into the corner where I bit mine and I immediately thought flushed in both anger and embarrassment.

We soon forgot about our small argument when we set foot into the perya. It wasn't that big like some carnivals or could only be the smaller and cheaper version of an arcade but there was loads of fun in here.

Small like houses huddled into a line with strings of Christmas lights hanging from every color. There was a sea of people and it was easy for us to be separated so I took Eric's hand with me. I didn't saw the smile in his eyes as I wandered around the small space of land.

People of all ages came, everyone was affected by the lively atmosphere as I mumbled the lyrics off the music being played in the background.

"Let's play that!" I pointed to the game where people huddled over it, when we reach the stall there was an animated discussion between the owner and the players.

"Kuya, we're going to play too" Eric says and handed a 30 peso bill to the owner and gave us three red circles to be thrown to the numbers which signify the prize one would get.

Prizes range from cups, glass, plates, teddy bears from big to small and other stuff. I was unlucky on the second try and didn't want to toss it again but Eric cheered me up so I did.

"I won!"

I showed him the ceramic cup that I won and he praised me while stroking my hair as if I did a good job. I proudly held it in my hands, I know I could have bought it from the store but where's the fun in that?

My eyes soon found the highlight of the perya, the rides, and went towards the most iconic ride- no not the octopus but the Ferris wheel.

It shone brightly and spin slowly up in the air, my eyes brightened and I grip Eric's hand with mine and stand in line with the people who also want to ride the Ferris wheel.

I didn't know that a realization would overtake my mind at this point but that would be for later.

***
Chapter 89 is up!

Fun Fact: On their second anniversary they really did go to a Perya and yes, I think it was still here the years ago but now it's not here anymore.

Have a great day everyone and stays safe!

Make sure to VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!