Chapter 8

If it is my destiny
If I can choose my destiny
Even if I close my eyes and go
I will choose the right path

- The red shoes, IU

The crackle of the fire burned much brighter in the dim light of the kitchen area, the smell of fish burning spread in the stifling corners of the room. The suffocating space overwhelmed the already stiff atmosphere, it was so tense you can cut a knife through it.

My eyes peered over the small slit of the curtain which serves as a foyer across the living room, there is no doubt that screams would erupt here in a minute and nosy neighbors with nothing to do would peer their heads just to get a whiff of drama surrounding our house today.

"Jhonrie, what are you going to do with your life?" I heard my mother asked out loud, I could hear the loss and disappointment coming out of my mother's lips.

There was no reply, it was pure silence in the rook except the snoring from my father and the hum of the electric fan on the side. My two older brothers, with the eldest one missing since he's still in his work at a diner, came into the scene of Jhonrie with his head down and mom's expression of silent fury.

"You got into a fight again?" My second brother, Ronnel asked with a knowing look on his face. It was after all an everyday scene in our household, it was either Jonnel or Jhonrie making trouble outside.

"I didn't, they started it" he gritted his teeth, Ronnel on the other hand laughed tinted in mocking.

"You really sound like a child right now"

"Stop it" Mom stood up and went in between her two sons who looked like they were about to fight each other. Jhonrie was held in his shoulders by Jonnel while I step out of the kitchen after closing the stove.

I could feel the static between the two, it smells of trouble and I hate this, I truly hated it when we went to a fight and argue. It was different from bickering, we all know it was just playful teasing but this, looking at the solemn expression of each other, one could easily deduce the anger brewing inside.

"We should get some ice for kuya's bruise" I intercepted, no one was talking instead they were looking at each other with serious expressions.

"You do that" I went back to the kitchen and took a towel and poured the ice inside to make a cold compress. After that, I went back, there were still no words being exchanged and silence ensued until I came back.

"Here" Jhonrie took the cold compress and pressed it into his bruised face, my two older brothers were looking at mom, awaiting her judgment.

Even though we've become half adults, we now have our own opinions and perception of the world, we still get acknowledgment from our parents.

"I hope you can go to college now Jhonrie, I don't care about your course anymore but please... go to college"

College.

Jhonrie didn't apply to any college institutions after graduating from high school. He worked as a fisherman and didn't continue his studies.

We're not rich, we're far from that, we could afford to finish high school since it's free but college is a different matter. We have tuition to pay, my parents have to work hard just to get us to finish college and there's also a possibility of not having work after you graduated from college.

(AN: There's tuition on college but I think 3 years ago, the Philippine president which is Duterte stated that public colleges would be free so we can now afford college since it's free)

"We don't have money-" he was interrupted by an outburst of anger from our mother.

"I'll work! If it'll stop you from fighting outside then you should stick your attention and energy into college!"

Mother sighed and plopped on the couch, she massaged her head and looked tiredly at us. At times like this, I hate myself for being useless, like a child who cannot go on without her parents help.

I really hate this.

***
Chapter 8 is up!

I wish I could help my parents too, it's just taking a long time for me to earn money so yeah, I really sympathize with ange.

Have a great day everyone! Stay safe and happy!

Make sure to VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.

Thank you!