Mistake (Puck/Quinn)

A/N: this is from a multichapter fic that I lost inspiration for so enjoy:)

-

Puck woke up from yet another nightmare, and looked at his wife asleep in the bed beside him. He took a deep breath as he quietly got out of bed and left the bedroom.

Puck didn't bother checking the clock. He knew it was too early to call or text anyone so he went for a cigarette. One cigarette turned into multiple as he walked around the city and headed to pick up a new pack.

Between cigarettes, Puck would check the time on his phone and see if he had any texts, which he didn't.

Around 7am, Puck found himself at Quinn's apartment. Before he could stop himself, he was knocking on the door.

Puck stopped when he realized how early it was and how hard he was knocking.

The door clicked open and Quinn stood there rubbing her eyes.

"Noah?" Quinn said. "What's wrong?"

"N-Nothing." Puck stuttered. "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry."

"Noah, wait." Quinn replied, taking Puck's hand. "Come in. We can talk."

"I don't wanna drag you into my shit." Puck stated.

Quinn raised her eyebrow. "It's a little late for that, don't you think?"

"I'm gonna go." Puck decided.

Quinn shook her head. "Stay."

Puck looked at her.

"I can make you breakfast and we can talk." Quinn offered. "Come sit down."

"Alright." Puck gave in. He walked into Quinn's apartment and sat down on the couch.

Quinn excused herself to the kitchen and started making Puck breakfast. "So... does your wife know you're here?"

"No." Puck said. "No, she was asleep when I left. She's probably still sleeping."

Quinn didn't say anything. She joined Puck on the couch and handed him a plate of waffles and utensils before setting toppings and napkins down on the table.

"Thank you." Puck said as he started eating.

Quinn watched Puck in silence. She knew he needed to talk, but she didn't want to pry either.

"We had a fight last night." Puck began. "I went to bed and she came in after I fell asleep."

"I'm sorry." Quinn frowned.

"I made a mistake marrying her, Quinn." Puck blurted. "I knew it was a bad idea, but I don't want her. I want you."

"Noah." Quinn said softly. "It's bad enough that we've been sneaking around, but you-"

"I'm serious." Puck cut Quinn off. "There's no future with her. We rushed into marriage and I should've known better."

"You haven't felt like yourself since you've been home." Quinn noted.

"I feel like myself when I'm with you." Puck pointed out.

Quinn took a deep breath. "You've been through so much, Noah, and I wanna help you, but you can't rely on me to feel like yourself or to be happy."

Puck furrowed his eyebrow.

"You know I love you." Quinn said. "But I've been telling you to get some help for a long time. You're overwhelmed with all of these decisions about your future, and-"

"I don't need a shrink. I'm not crazy." Puck stated.

"There's nothing wrong with therapy." Quinn insisted. "I've gone."

"You have?" Puck asked.

"When Finn died." Quinn nodded. "His death was really hard, and I had a lot of other issues that I never really dealt with."

"You never told me that." Puck said.

"I didn't want my choices to affect yours." Quinn replied as someone knocked on the door.

"If that's Courtney, I'm not here." Puck said softly, shaking his head as he got up.

Quinn gave him a look.

"Tell her you haven't seen me." Puck requested as the knocking continued.

Puck ran off to Quinn's bedroom, closing the door behind him as Quinn went to answer the door.

Puck locked the door and put his ear to the door so he could eavesdrop.

"Hi, Courtney." Quinn said politely. "What are you doing here?"

"Is Noah here?" Courtney asked.

Quinn shook her head. "You can come in if you want."

"Who's in your bedroom?" Courtney wondered.

"I, uh, I had a date last night." Quinn told Courtney. "I just had breakfast, but he's still sleeping."

"Waffles?" Courtney asked.

"Yeah, I have that waffle maker, you know?" Quinn responded. "Anyway, if I hear from Noah, I'll tell him you're looking for him. I'm sure he just went for a walk or a cigarette or something."

"Well, while I'm here, maybe you and I can talk." Courtney suggested.

"S-Sure." Quinn stuttered. "Come sit."

"No, I won't be staying, but thank you." Courtney said.

"Okay." Quinn replied. "So what did you wanna talk about?"

Puck held his breath as he continued listening. He could tell Quinn was nervous, but Quinn was strong and could handle herself.

"You need to stay away from him." Courtney warned Quinn.

"What?" Quinn asked.

"I know there's something going on between you two." Courtney noted.

"Did he tell you that?" Quinn questioned Courtney.

"He's my husband and we're gonna start trying to have a baby, and he could do without the distractions." Courtney stated.

"I agree." Quinn replied.

"I should go." Courtney decided. "If Noah comes here, tell him I'm waiting for him at home."

"I will." Quinn promised.

Puck waited and listened to Courtney leave. Shortly after the apartment door closed, Quinn opened the bedroom door and looked at Puck.

"That was pretty hot." Puck stated as he cupped Quinn's cheeks.

"You need to go." Quinn said, pushing Puck's hands away as she looked at him.

"What?" Puck asked, his smile fading.

"Did you not hear what your wife just said?" Quinn wondered. "You need to go."

"Let me at least clean up my breakfast before I go." Puck requested.

"I can do it." Quinn promised. "Go."

"Quinn."

"Now."