Thirty Two

Since my dad has finally finished his cooking challenge we are now back to regular food. Which is kind of the same food but without the gourmet factor. It is grilled cheese. So we have lowered our standards. But he deserves a break, even the best ones do. Even though he did seem a little sad. Now that we are back to normal. He was so proud of cooking those fancy dishes every night. It became his little hobby. And for someone who works as much as he does, it was necessary.

" This is really good. " I said trying to cheer him up.

" It is amazing honey ." My dad joined.

" Thank you. It wasn't much of a challenge, putting cheese on bread. It actually took like twenty minutes cause I wanted to properly spread the mustard. Twenty minutes, twenty minutes. "

" I love mustard. " I tried.

Vincent looked at me with a confused face. I shot him with a ' What am I supposed to do? ' look. And he just took a deep breath, and rolled his eyes.

" Are you okay honey? " He asked after putting down his sandwich for a minute.

" Yes, I just miss it you know. Like doing something I really enjoy. I was having a good time and you guys liked my food. Maybe I am actually good at it. " He said looking at him.

" Maybe you can open a restaurant, or like a food truck. " I suggested.

He turned to me.

" Like with a cute name and trendy stuff. I mean we live in California so you can just put avocado in everything and call it a day. "

" That is not a bad idea. " He answered, already cheering up. " But it would be so complicated with the logistics and it's expensive. And the company. "

" Dad can take care of the company. " I suggested.

" Well it's not exactly that easy. " He finally decided to join the conversation.

" Maybe at least consider it. " I said immediately, noticing that he was not enjoying this conversation and was throwing me a very rude ' shut up right now look' . And so I decided to keep talking even though I was done with everything I had to say. Just to be that annoying person.

" We could like look at van prices and maybe talk to some people who have had a food truck before. " I continued.

" What a shame what happened to Maya. I felt so bad for her. " My dad said completely changing the subject in a very smooth way.

" Yeah. " I said trying to sound annoyed. Sometimes I question if we have a healthy father daughter relationship. We can even talk with a challenging undertone.

" I talked to her mom today, and she said that she will be back to school in a couple of days. " George said, trying to break the pressure.

" I just felt so bad. Like I didn't even know what to do. And she is so nice and she was helping me. The next minute she was on the floor. Just a really big mess. " I started. " Maybe if she hadn't stayed to help. "

" Yes, why did she stay? " Vincent asked.

" I don't really know. We had a conversation the other day in school, she wasn't doing so great. So I guess we are becoming friends now. "

" Is it a family problem? " He asked.

" I don't know. She didn't tell me. And then we went into this loophole and then she asked me if I was gay. So you know just an average conversation. At least for me. " I explained. " Why does everyone think I am gay? Like having gay parents doesn't make me gay. Right? "

" Of course it doesn't. " Vincent answered by taking a bite of his food.

" I think you just have that look. " George suggested.

I looked at him in shock.

" What does that even mean? "

" Oh, don't be so naive. You cuff your jeans, and the boots, the hair. "

" That is stereotyping. "

" Yes it is. But it doesn't mean it is not true."

He had a point. But to be honest if I were to be gay, I would be one of those people who dye the two front pieces of their hair, and I would buy a literal rainbow shirt, and wear lots of eyeliner. Or I would like, shave my head and get one of those wireless microphones and just shout Emily Dickinson quotes at people.

" Look, just know that we support you no matter what. "

" I know. "

" Just don't get a Subaru. " Vincent spit out.