Eleven

It's Monday again, and we are already walking to school. I wonder if something is going to change after that party on Friday. Will people talk to me? At least James?

" Bye guys. " I said as we stepped in front of the school.

" Bye, don't forget that we have to go to the supermarket after school. " George reminded me.

" Yep. "  I said looking around.

" Why are you so distracted? " Vincent, who was late again this morning, asked.

" I'm not. " I answered, lying to myself.

" Are you nervous? " Vincent completed.

" When am I not nervous in front of school? " I tried.

" If you say so... " Said George, widening his eyes.

" I am fine. Bye. " I said, already walking into the school.

Honestly, I am a little extra nervous because of what people think James and I did in the closet. I am even more nervous about the little chat I had with Jennifer; she has a bit of a reputation for gossiping. As much as I don't like to judge someone based on rumors, I am scared of it being true. 'Just Let that thought go away.' I told myself, 'Now just go to Sloan, you can do it.' Or you can look at your phone and pretend you are texting someone while you build courage. Yes! That sounds good. This Instagram post I have already seen today at least twice looks so interesting!

" Hey. "

Well someone was happy to see another person, cause that was a loud 'Hey!'. It must be interesting to have friends in school.

" Hi. " I hear from behind.

Is that person calling me? No it can't be me. Why would someone be calling me? That was a very overdramatic Sloan. My therapist said I like to victimize myself, and dramatize situations. I honestly kind of see her point now. Why would someone be calling me at school? I am quieter than the walls.

" Hey, Sloan. " Said a female voice.

I turn around and there is Maya, without Jennifer. That is a miracle!

" Hi. " I answered.

" I am so glad I reached you before the bell rang. " She said relieved.

" You are? "

Maya has been in my class since we were in middle school. She moved here from LA with her family and was instantly adored by everyone. She is one of those people who are cute without even trying. When she came into the school, I was the one that showed her around. Told her everything that a ten year old had to know about " real school ".

We were good friends for about a year. Then Jennifer took her under her wing and Maya let it happen. Our conversations went from everyday, to once a week, then to once a month, then to never. I sometimes ask myself if she remembers that time of her life. When we used to do sleepovers and watch all the Barbie movies in a row.

" I have been wanting to talk to you about something. "

" To me? "

She has ignored my existence for so long and now she wants to talk to me? Isn't it funny when people ditch you and then think you will always be there waiting for them? That day at Office Depot, she acted like a total mean girl. She already knew me from before; but she was just too scared of revealing it to her popular friends.

" You are the only you I know, so... " She said as if it was the most logical thing ever.

" I guess so. " I said ironically.