Chapter 101 One Lesson

Credits to Pinteresr for the header.
FICTION.
Disclaimer: All and fully disclaimed. For ADN. 💚💚💚💚💚💚

*******ALDUBPARIN****************

Chapter 101: One Lesson

"Lexi!" Georgie, the youngest of the brood of five of my landlady screamed while he hurled himself at me when I came through the kitchen door just in time for breakfast. "I missed you last night. You owe me a nap story."

"George, she just came from work, let her rest first."

I shifted the three year old on my hip after kicking the door close. "It's all right Mrs. Wells. I actually had some shut eye at the hospital while I waited for morning to come."

"Then have breakfast with us." She invited, placing another setting on the table.

"Sit beside me!" George added.

I eyed the food on the table and then looked at the child in my arms. "Only if you eat your cereals, fruits and drink your milk."

"Do I have to?"

I removed his arm around my neck to deposit him in his chair. "Take it or leave it buster."

His mother and I laughed as his hands reached out to take mine my
bargain. "You have a way with children Alexa."

"They have their ways with me as well." I answered; passing the plate of scrambled eggs while my other hand wiped the milk mustache on George's face. "Do I have a mustache as well?" I asked when I caught his mother staring at me.

"No. I was just thinking that you would be a great mother." She nodded towards her son, who was eating with gusto. "You're already doing great with George."

Color rushed to my face. "You're just patronizing me. Having children is the farthest thing in my mind. I still have a career to build and look after."

'Farthest you say huh!' My mind mocked me as I smoothed George's hair as he slept on my bed after three stories while I wondered what it would have been like to have his child. My eyes closed at remembering my joy when I was four days delayed.

I knew being a single mother these days was tough but I would have gladly borne it out if it meant having his child. But it wasn't to be. I got my period the very next day.

My eyelids flew open when I heard a knock on my door. "Come in." I ran my hands through my hair. "Mrs. Wells,"

"I went and checked in on that little rascal and found his bed empty so I figured that he was with you."

"He just fell asleep a few minutes ago."

"Thank you for obliging him with his stories. I'll take him off your hands now so you can have your rest."

I placed a hand on hers to stop her. "It's all right. I like having him
around anyway."

My landlady settled herself at the foot of the bed. "Are you specializing in pediatrics because of him?" She asked referring to the picture of Sebastian in his bee costume on my night table.

I sat up with an acute smile on my face. She does get to the point. "Partly. I happen to like children," I took the frame from the stand, "And this one happens to be special."

"Nephew?"

"Of sorts."

The rise of her eyebrow told me that my answer stimulated her interest in my life so before she could come up with another question, I let out a fake yawn. "I'm sorry," I dabbed at my eyes for effect, "but I think I would like to have my rest."