Ch.87 Eyes Open

The plan was set into action as the Human Empire troops began to mobilize. Alice's team advanced as the faint sound of chanting could be heard. Alice and Eugeo rode on Amayori as Bercouli rode on his own dragon.

Alice: This sounds like the group chant of an art!

Eugeo: But how? I thought we drained all Sacred Art energy?

As the dragons advanced a large ball of dark power came barreling towards them. Bercouli recognized this as a deathworm curse spell.

Bercouli: Be ready to pull up! Eugeo! Brace yourself!

As the dragons closed in they suddenly jerked up as the swarm broke into two with a group pursuing the dragons and the other going for the rear unit as the two teens remembered where Mav was currently at.

Eugeo: Alice!

Alice nodded as she chased down the swarm.

Bercouli: Wait! Your attacks won't work!

Alice didn't listen as her and Eugeo readied their attack only to see another dragon from the rear unit speeding towards the swarm.

Alice: Eldrie! No!

Eldrie: Divine serpent of ancient times! If you claim to be the king of snakes, then let's see you devour that horde of mere worms completely!

Eldrie readied his whip as he took the aggression of both swarms as they reformed into one massive swarm.

Eldrie: Over here vile insects! There's enough for all of you! Release Recollection!

Eldrie flew upwards as he took a glance at Alice and gave her a small smile. The swarm gave chase as a large cluster of serpents shot towards the swarm colliding with one another as the swarm continued it's advance. Eldrie maneuvered throughout the sky a darkish energy mixed with a bright white zipped around the sky as swarm eventually crawled up Eldrie's arm as he felt the worms gnawing at his arm and poisoning his body. The pain he endured as he continued to hold them at bay. His vision quickly began to fail as he remembered the face of his mentor Alice. He felt invigorated the pain felt almost nonexistent as he gritted his teeth and fought through the pain. With that empowerment to protect he leapt from his dragon and disappeared into the swarm. Everyone expected the swarm to come back down but the swarm seemed stuck as white serpents began to eat the swarm whole until it was nothing but a cluster of serpents in the sky. The serpents descended from the sky until they reached the ground. The serpents faded as Eldrie laid upon the floor motionless the handle of his whip cracked the rope on the verge of snapping. His body was covered severe wounds blood oozing from each wound.

Alice: ELDRIE!!!

Alice flew to the ground and jumped off Amayori and dashed towards Eldrie as Eugeo knelt down behind Alice, planted his sword in the ground and closed his eyes.

Alice: No Eldrie! You can't die! I ordered you! Don't die on me!

Alice could only watch as Eldrie disappear into a brilliant cluster of light as that danced away into the night sky.

Alice: Eldrie......

Eugeo slowly stood up and gently placed a hand on Alice's shoulder. Alice stood up and placed her hand on the shoulder where Eugeo's hand was as a sign acknowledgement and appreciation before hopping on Amayori.

Alice: Eugeo, take Takiguri. We're not letting these bastards get away with this.

Eugeo quietly nodded and got on Takiguri before flying off towards the enemy. When the enemy was in range the two saw them begin to retreat.