CHAPTER 8: THE OTHER END OF THE LINE...

It’s Saturday night and I’m alone; usually Holly and I plan out to go out to the movies or to Orlando Universal Resort. But today was surely an exception, because Holly had a date with the one and only, Andreas. She was so ecstatic to know she had a date tonight. She apologized for cancelling our plans, and rushed off to her date.

          Since then I’ve been slumped on my bed doing nothing. Internet seemed a total waste of time, and besides it was getting more boring everyday for some reason. Reading a book made me sleepy, I wasn’t in the mood for drawing or writing, didn’t feel like going over to any of my friends’ houses, and definitely homework wasn’t my idea of “fun”.

          My phone rang informing me I got a text message. Naturally, Holly was gushing about how much she was enjoying her time with Andreas. The text said:

Emilyyy! I’m having the time of my life. We’re now at the Midway and Andreas won a huge teddy bear for me :$. Isn’t he just so sweet? We’re now off to have some dinner. Hope you found something fun to do J

          I laughed at the last part of the text. I’m the farthest thing to having fun tonight. But I didn’t want to ruin her night so I replied:

Hehe sweetie don’t worry about me, I’m glad you’re having fun, tell me all about it tomorrow. Love u

I seriously needed to find something to do, but nothing seemed right. I decided to take a nap but I didn’t feel sleepy. I stood up and looked around my room hopelessly. I decided to take a shot at reading a book. I chose my favourite book: Breaking Dawn.

I read for more than two hours and it was finally 10:30 p.m. Just when I wanted to go to sleep, my cell phone rang.

It’s probably Holly needing some advice. I thought.

“Hello,” I said.

“Hi,” said a masculine voice.

I was surprised by the voice, since it didn’t sound familiar. I tried to think who it might be, but nothing seemed to fit. It sure wasn’t Justin or any of the guys in my class since none of them really liked to call; they usually just send text messages instead.

“Um who are you?” I asked straight forwardly.

“I can ask you the same thing, you’re the one who called me about a week ago,” he shot back.

I was bewildered; I didn’t really call this guy before. The only guys I called were my best friends and relatives, no one else.

“I never called you before!” I said truthfully.

“Yes you did, and I have proof,” he said as a matter-of-factly. “I’ll call you later so I can see the date and time you called.”

“Uh okay, sure,” I said plainly.

Disconnected. I tried to think through who I might’ve called last week. I called Holly, Caillie, Justin, and that’s pretty much it. I never really got his name or if he was someone at my school. I made a mental note to ask him when he calls again.

Six minutes later the phone rang again.

“Hello, so I checked the message’s details and it said that you called 4:32 p.m on Saturday 20th of May; does that ring a bell?” he said mockingly.

My eyes widened, I had a flashback of what happened exactly on that day. My friends and I went shopping for a Prom dress, watched a movie and had lunch. That was the day when Justin was about to confess but it was stopped by Holly accidentally breaking the mannequin. That day I thought Holly did that to save me from the sudden confrontation, just because I knew I called her...