The ending

(1 chapter left)

3 months later

I open the back door and enter the  House. I've never come into the house this way. I only ever entered through the front door, always expected.

But not now, not as vincenzo just entered highway 46 heading to the airport to pick up vienna, Not as Finn is in his office, working as if he didn't know he'd be excecuted today.

I sit down at the table and drum my fingers loudly over the mulberry wood.

Mrs lockewood enters the room, she's in her robe, a purple fluffy thing and her hair is rolled up in rollers. She's wearing foundation but nothing else was visible on her face.

"Want to look your best for the end of the world?" I asked placing my elbow on the table and then my head on my palm.

She jumps and I tsked, "I hope you aren't this suicidal because you're a surgeon because that would really give me a lot to think about." I said in a calm voice despite that I could hear the roar of blood pumping through me in my own ear drums

"How did you even get in here? how's you- why are you here?"
"The back door was open." I said grabbing a tangerine from the fruit bowl on the table table.

"No it wasn't!" She sneered and I hummed, "wasn't it?, then how did I get here?"

"You need to leave." She snapped, "okay." I shoot up, "but you have to come with me."

"What are you talking about?- get out get out right now."

"I know you have big plans but, um I have a friend who is sitting on your roof pointing a gun at your neighbor's house- Mrs Miriam- he's going to shoot her and then I'm going to call the cops, he's gonna run in here before the cops come and we are going to pay his helpless little hostages until Everyone else gets home.. but I suppose that'll spoil your plans for the day so why don't you just go inside and get dressed." I'm bluffing of course, Mrs Miram isn't even home. I never would've been able to get into the house with her staring through the window if she were home.

"You don't know what you're messing with! You don't know what-"

"Please spare me, my head hurts and my feet are swollen just, just go put on something more suitable for company."

The older woman turns into her bedroom as I sit back down on the chair and anticipate her attack.
I grab her wrist and I twist it before her knife could enter my neck. Nadia had taught me this move so many times, she told me it only takes a second to completely miss the opportunity.

She screams and All I do is squeeze her hand and apply pressure on her bent wrist until she drops the knife.

"Let's chalk that up to mental illness okay?" I said despite my heart beating out of my chest.

Breathe, Sara... just breathe, I told myself as I picked up the knife.

"Murderous tendencies must run in the family." I said jokingly, removing handcuffs from my side.
I turned her around and pushed her against the table, her hip hits the table a little harder than I intended and I feel instantly bad.

In all honesty I don't know how much of Mrs lockewood's behavior is all her intend and how much of it is mental illness and indoctrination, but even still that's not an excuse for her actions now.
She may be a victim of those things but her intention to victimize was unacceptable.

I resisted the urge to apologize at her cry. She's planning to do something horrific, hurting her hip is not so big of a deal, I rationalize.

I drag her to the car, tugging the door to her car open and pushing her into the passenger sit.