Homecoming

-2 chapters left-

"Geraldine Awoh was murdered by Vincenzo lockewood."
"How do you figure that?" The dectective asked fawning interest.
"She was-they were together." I stuttered out then I hung up, it's their job to figure out the rest.

"Everything okay?" Susan asked and I nodded with a small smile, relief floods my system.
"Should we get some ice cream?" She asked, "please."

We were passing the 'Welcome to Elksdale' when she speaks for the first time since she asked me for my ice cream order.

"Do you need somewhere to stay?"
The answer was yes but I felt too ashamed to speak it.
"I would take you home with me but I know you wouldn't be comfortable either way. Here's what we are going to do." She said as she pulls up to the house.

"You're going to take the car and go to my mother's place. She lives alone and it's a little far from here but I think you'll do well ther-"
"You don't have to do tha-"
"Don't I?" She asked, there's so much sincerity in her voice as she turns off the car and hands me the key.

"I'm sorry if things are hard for you right now, but there's nothing in this world or the next that is stronger than your will."
"I don't know if that's true."
I said with a sad chuckle.

There's Vincenzo for one.
He's stronger,
Smarter and more faster.

Then she brought down the car mirror.

"Look at you, look at where you are and what that means."

I look at myself in the mirror, I look so exhausted and misery, I also had a little bit of dry ice cream on the side of my mouth.

Susan doesn't say much else after that. She parks in-front of the house and steps out of the car.
"Consider this an early graduation present." She says tapping the top of the car.
My jaw dropped, she brought the Mercedes early this year.

"What-what?" I questioned wide eyed.

"I'll insure it until you tell me you can." She says- I don't even know how to protest.
My head falls.
"I don't deserve this."
"Sometimes it doesn't matter if someone is deserving, sometimes it only matters what someone is willing to give. Plus I never asked." She said taking my hand and placing a key in it.

"Go on now, Sara."

The drive to Susan's mother house is an hour away from everyone and everything.

The more I drove the more relief I felt through me. The car was smooth and the loud pop song playing smoothed all my nerves.

I could go, I could go now and go forever.

I called Everrett while I fueled the car.
"Hey Sara." His voice sound so young through the phone it throws me up.
"Susan gave me the car!" I said bubbling with excitement.
"She did?" He sounded just as surprised as me.
"But it's brand new." He questioned.
"Wait- is it paid off?" I asked and he laughs. "Yeah, she was saving up for a long time."

"I feel bad." I said looking at the black car.

"Don't. If she gave it to you then she gave it to you. No backises."

I giggle at that.

"Is Mrs Wilder racist?" I asked and Everrett choked and then laughed. "She's old so- but it's not Deep South racism, just a couple micro aggressions here and there." Everrett said and I gasped.

"I'm joking, I'm joking- grandma is sweet and she's very open to learning so if she says something problematic, all you have to do is tell her, I promise." Everrett laughs.
"Why do you ask anyway?" He asked, "Susan said to go stay with her."