Part 96

Part 96

Lauren's firstshift was a huge success. She's got the job and can work any otherday. She was bummed though when Camila asked her to come over and shehad to decline because she needed to work. She really wanted to gobut she knew that the diner was giving her a chance that she neededto take, and she was sure that she'll visit Camila and her familysome other time.

She was absolutelytired from running around the diner all day that she fell into herbed when she arrived back home. Camila arrives shortly after and issurprised to see Lauren laying on their bed with her clothes on butfast asleep. She's tired herself since she talked with Shawn forhours and didn't get much sleep. She shrugs it off for now and takesa shower before trying to get Lauren at least out of her jacket andpants. She wiggles around and finally gives up. She uses magic andeven dresses Lauren in a comfy shirt before tugging her in.

She then sets heralarm clock before falling asleep as well. She makes a mental notethat she's calmer when she's around Lauren and finally drifts offcompletely.

Her alarm wakes herup the other morning. She's surprised that she slept so wellalthough she feels like she could need some more hours. Turning over,she sees that Lauren is still fast asleep. She knows that Laurendoesn't have classes in the morning and lets her sleep some more.She would have liked her to be there during her exam but she doesn'twant to pressure her to be there.

Camila quietlychanges into one of her dresses and walks into the kitchen whiletaming her hair at the same time. She is met by Ally who's justpreparing breakfast for the girls.

"Didn't hear youcome back last night", she greets her. Camila is not sure how shemeans it. She didn't hear her because she didn't come through thedoor or she didn't hear her because Lauren and her fell asleep rightaway. She doesn't really care and grabs a banana.

"I gotta go. Ididn't get a chance to practice", she simply says and exits theapartment. She isn't sure what she should perform. Her new songisn't really finished but she does not have a back up plan either.Lauren would have had a suggestion for sure.

Speaking of which.She wakes up the moment she hears the door close and jumps up. Shelooks around confused. She didn't hear Camila come home last night,she didn't notice that she changed her until now and she didn'tmean to sleep in and not talk to her before her exam. She quicklysends her a text at least to wish her good luck before running intothe bathroom. She wouldn't shower if she didn't stink from workingin the diner. She should have done that right when she came home butit's too late for that. She grabs a pair of black pants and at-shirt before rushing into the kitchen to greet Ally and to grabsomething to eat and drink. "She just left", Ally informs her asshe sees the alarmed girl. "Thanks!"

And off she goes.

Camila decided tojust present her new song even though she is not sure if it's goodenough. Since it's an open exam, people are allowed to come in andlisten. She warmed herself up but didn't have time for much more.She sees, however, that Dinah and Normani are already sitting in oneof the last rows. They wave at her as they see her looking at them.Camila feels better knowing her friends are around.

She looks around inhope to find Lauren but she doesn't see her yet. Everyone knows therule that once the professors close the door, no one else is allowedto come in anymore. She already sees the professors who areapproaching the door in a steady pace and laughs out loud when Laurenrushes into the room. She waves at Camila with a toast in her mouthand almost falls into a seat next to her friends just when theexaminers close the door. Close one. Camila can see that Lauren'sblushing because of the running and of the shame of almost being toolate.

The examiners greetCamila and prepare everything before giving her the word.

Camila stands up andbegins her presentation. "I honestly didn't know what I shouldpresent today because I didn't really have the time to tell thetruth. I also couldn't find a song that expressed what's going onin my life right now which is why I wrote my own song. I called itexhale."

She sits down andbegins to play the first notes before she starts singing.

Who put the babyin charge?
It's already hard to buy all the parts and learn to usethem
Who put the world on my back and not in my hands
Just giveme a chance

Listen to mymama, listen to my dad
Listen to my sisters, everyonerelax
Everybody answers shit I didn't ask
Think I'm reaching mylimit

Lauren listensclosely to her words as tears escape her eyes. She looks over hershoulder to see that her friends are touched as well. Not only byCamila's voice but also by the lyrics that she sings filled withemotion.

Can I exhale fora minute?
Can I get this out in the open?
Can I sit down for asecond?
Can I breathe?
Can I exhale for a minute?
Can wetalk it out? I don't get it
Can I calm down for a moment?
CanI breathe for just one second?

Camila finishes thesong and looks into the audience to find Lauren who is looking ather, beaming proudly. Some people are already exiting the room, buther friends stay and wait. She waits for a couple of minutes untilone of the examiners hands her a sheet of paper with theirevaluation. She's glad that she passed and got quite a good gradebefore she grabs her bag and heads to Lauren. The raven-haired girlpulls her into a tight hug and kisses her cheek before letting herfriends hug her as well. They all know that her song had a seriousmessage, but they thought they'd give her some space first beforetalking about it.