37. Back to Square One But With Support

Start from the beginning

~

While it's currently 8pm PST, it is noon time in Seoul. I just finished a painting and decided to take a picture of it and sent it to Jungkook.

A couple of minutes of me cleaning my painting area, I hear my phone buzzing, and I see the name 'Kookie' appear on the screen.  I can't not answer it.

Sarah:
"Hey, Jungkook"

Jungkook:
"Hey, Sarah! I had some free time and I thought I'd call you. Are you free?!"

Sarah:
"I am! I was just cleaning up after painting."

Jungkook:
"I saw it. Any chance you can send it to me! It's gorgeous."

Sarah:
"You're just saying that, Kook!"

Jungkook:
"Sarah, you're fucking talented. I wouldn't lie to you. The colors are amazing and I'd proudly put that up in my apartment or even my studio!"

Sarah:
"Stop flattering me!"

Jungkook:
"I can't help it when it comes to you."

Ugh, this guy needs to stop making me want to melt at his words. Anyway, time to change the subject.

Sarah:
"Okay, Kook...how's your day going so far?"

Jungkook:
"I just got out of a meeting with the boys at MapleStory headquarters!"

Sarah:
"Aw, that sounds fun! I bet Jin was in heaven!"

Jungkook:
"He was! We all had a blast coming up with ideas of what to contribute to the game."

Sarah:
"I haven't played MapleStory in a while but I might have to get into it now that you're collaborating! And, I have so much more free time now!"

Jungkook:
"Babe...I'm sorry."

I can hear guilt in his voice knowing that when I say I have free time, it is precisely because I currently am not working. He feels like he's mostly to blame for me being jobless, as he's confessed in a previous phone conversation.

Sarah:
"Jungkook, don't start feeling bad, please. We've had this discussion before. We didn't know people were taking pictures. It was beyond our control. "

Jungkook:
"I know, I just wish you didn't have to leave your job. I knew you were happy there."

Sarah:
"I was. But, I'm actually looking into other jobs. A coworker of mine even suggested I try to apply as a graphic designer at her husband's advertising company."

Jungkook:
"Oh, that would be awesome! As much as you loved your old job, I know art is your passion. It'd be cool if you pursued something in that area."

Sarah:
"I know. It's just scary. I've been in the same position for years. I feel like I'm starting back at square one. What if I don't have what it takes?"

Jungkook:
"You just have to try, Sarah. And you know, I'm here to root for you, always."

Sarah:
"And, that means a lot to me that I have your support, Kook. You have no idea ."

Jungkook:
"I love you."

Sarah:
"I love you, too."

Jungkook:
"You what?"

I WHAT?! That just came out. Fuck it, I meant it.

Sarah:
"I love you...fuck, I wish I could've said it in person. I'm sorry. My timing is horrible."

Jungkook:
"Don't apologize unless you don't mean it."

Sarah:
"I mean it, though."

Jungkook:
"How long?"

Sarah:
"I think I knew even before you told me on Halloween night. But, I was scared. And, then of course, all that crazy stuff happened."

Jungkook:
"Yeah, talk about timing!"

Sarah:
"Yeah, well...I love you."

Jungkook:
"What does this mean for us?"

Sarah:
"Kook, I told you I still need time to sort my life out."

Jungkook:
"I get that, but—"

Sarah:
"Please Jungkook."

Jungkook:
"So, we're friends who love each other?"

Sarah:
"I don't know. I know it's complicated. But, I'm still seeing hurtful words about me online and I'm still grappling with that. And, being without a job is weird for me. I really need to focus on myself and if I do that, I don't want to neglect you. But, I'm still here for you as best as I can. I don't know if that makes sense."

Jungkook:
"It does."

Sarah:
"You mean so much to me. Please know that."

Jungkook:
"I do. And, you obviously know how I feel about you."

I blush.

Sarah:
"Obviously."

I can't help but giggle.

Jungkook:
"I miss hearing your laugh, babe. I just miss you."

Sarah:
"I miss you, too, Jungkook. Just focus on work."

Jungkook:
"It's hard when you're always on my mind."

Sarah:
"Okay, you're cheesy."

Jungkook:
"For you."

Sarah:
"Okay, you can stop now."

I playfully roll my eyes and I hear him chuckle.

Jungkook:
"Well, I do have to get going. But, keep me updated on your job search."

Sarah:
"I will!"

Jungkook:
"I love you!"

Sarah:
"I love you, too!"

*********

A/N:
Sarah said it. But, it's complicated...

🎵 Song to check out: "F.U.C.K" by Victoria Monet

Thank you for reading! ✨
-MissD