36. Drifting

02/11/21

Jungkook's 1st Person POV

"Jungkook, I think we should take a break."

And, just like that, my heart shatters.

I know this is necessary. I can't put Sarah through all of this bullshit. She doesn't deserved to be chastised by people online. She doesn't deserve to be publicly mauled and humiliated by the media.

But, at the same time, I don't want to let her go. I can't let her go. My feelings for her run way too deep. I just confessed to her last night that I love her. And, I meant it with all my fucking heart.

"Sarah, please... we can work through this. We'll figure out what we need to do to make this less of a nightmare. I'll do anything to make sure you're not being harmed any further." I look at her with pleading eyes as she stands up and faces me. She closes her eyes and her silence breaks me even more.

"Sarah, please..." I whisper.

"JUNGKOOK! I CAN'T DO THIS!" She hysterically screams and sobs. She drops to the ground.

On instinct, I run to her and kneel, wrapping my arms around her fragile form.

"I...care about...you, Jungkook. But, I can't handle all of this emotionally. I...I...I thought I could. I t-think I just need some space and some time apart." She struggles to speak through her harsh sobs.

"Sarah, I love you..." I try to speak but I'm so choked up with my own emotions.

"I-I know...Jungkook. I feel so strongly about you and I am not going to lie, a part of me feels like I've fallen for you. B-but all of this is something I'm not used to." She says this all with her head on my chest, as I'm still embracing her.

"Then, if we feel the same way about each other we can work through this. Please, Sarah."

Sarah pushes herself off me and looks me in the eyes. Her orbs are full of sorrow.

"Jungkook, you mean so much to me, but I need to think of my mental health and my safety. I don't want you out of my life, but I need some time to myself. Please understand that." As she finishes her statement, she starts to cry even more. "Jungkook it's not easy for me to ask this of you, but please understand where I'm coming from. I'm not used to all of this negative attention."

I do understand. And, if time is what she needs, I have to respect that.

"I love you, Sarah. And, if time and space from me is what you need, I'll give you that. But, please know that I'm one hundred percent here for you. I can't lose you. But, I know all of this is hard to handle and I get it."

Unexpectedly, she cups my face with her hands and plants a kiss that carries so much emotion. I can taste the tears, but I melt with the contact. She breaks away from the kiss and stares at me again.

"You mean so much to me, Jungkook. Thank you for understanding."

~

After an hour of us cuddling in her bed, where we embraced each other in somewhat comfortable silence, I leave her alone and head downstairs to whip up both of us some breakfast.

As I walk into the kitchen, I see Yoongi and Melina sitting at the kitchen counter eating eggs and bacon.

"Hey, Jungkook, there's a lot of eggs and bacon left, if you're hungry," Melina offers me.

"Oh, thanks. Is there enough for me and Sarah? I came down with the intention to make something for both of us."

"Oh, yes. Please bring up some food for her. How's she doing right now?" Melina asks me with the utmost concern on her face.

"She's crying on and off but, right now, she's somewhat calm," I share as I plate some breakfast for Sarah and myself. Melina gets up and and goes to one of the kitchen cabinets and takes out a giant wooden tray.

"Here, you can put those on the tray. And I'll pour some coffee for her. There's some juice for you in the fridge."

"Thanks, Melina," I say, my tone of voice is downcast and Melina doesn't miss it.

"Are you okay, Jungkook?" Melina asks, walking behind me and rubbing my back, sensing that I'm on the verge of tearing up. Yoongi also senses something.

"Jungkook, what's wrong?" Yoongi questions me.

"Sarah asked to take a break, and I get why but...I just told her I love her last night," I admit out loud which causes tears to run down my cheeks.

Fuck, I haven't cried over a woman like this in so long.

"Oh, Jungkook. You know she feels the same way, right? As her best friend, I can tell the feeling is mutual by the way she talks about you with me. But, you also have to think about the circumstance you're both in. She's not used to seeing such hurtful words being said about her online, especially in the vast public eye. I know you guys deal with this and I'm sure it's not easy. But it's new to her."

"I know. She even confessed falling for me but that she asked for the break not because she doesn't return my feelings but because of her mental health," I tell them.

"Exactly, Jungkook. In this case, it's really not you she wants the break from but it's this situation. Just, please stay strong for her and give her the time she needs. I have faith the two of you will be fine if you make it known you're still there for her." Melina pats my back.

"I am. I told her that. Fuck, I love her too much to let her go. I'm just scared the break will make us drift apart more."

Melina pats my back some more, "Please don't think that way. If you guys feel the same way, things will work itself out. Again, just understand she needs this time for herself."

"And Jungkook," Yoongi starts, making me connect eyes with him, "You know we are here for you if you need to talk. It's not like Melina and I don't go through the same relationship obstacles you and Sarah have to worry about and deal with. We are here for you."

"Thanks, Hyung," I dejectedly try to throw him a genuine smile.

Sarah and I care about each other. This is a small hitch that we can overcome. I love her too much to give up on what we've built. I'm not letting any hinderance stand in the way.

*********

A/N:
So, I decided to start a Jimin short story that is outside of this Bangtan Couples Encounters series! Check it out if you're interested!!! It is an online dating AU!

A/N:So, I decided to start a Jimin short story that is outside of this Bangtan Couples Encounters series! Check it out if you're interested!!! It is an online dating AU!

Also, anyone that says Sarah is being overly dramatic, put yourself in her shoes. Would you honestly be calm if people are tearing you apart on Twitter, saying awful things about you and possibly threatening you? Would you be calm if paparazzi, news outlets and jealous ARMY are waiting for you at your workplace, turning your world upside down? If anyone puts down my characters, I'm sorry, but I'm deleting those comments. It's okay if you disagree with how my characters react and if you leave a tasteful comment, then that's fine. But, if not, it won't stay. If you don't like my characters, go ahead and stop reading. ✌️

🎵Song to check out: "We Don't Talk Together" by Heize ft. Giriboy

As always, thank you for giving my ff a chance and reading it! XOXO✨
-MissD