18-05-2030

Dear Diary,

This night, I was only able to sleep for one hour at a time, as I always wake up from some sudden noise. I don't know if it's inside my head or something I really hear. When I wake up, I only find a single glass of water, and a piece of bread. I really feel like the rewards are over. But I think I can get it back, but only if I work very hard and do my best for the children. Then, Billy comes in and tells me I can't get my reward back for another two months. He takes me to a computer room. I have to sit in front of a desk, and turn on a computer. It does not want to turn on, only giving out 4 beeps, and nothing else. I try to ask Cindy, but she only tells me I have to repair that computer, and doesn't give me any clues on what to do. I don't know what to do next, so I call Izzy for help. Cindy comes to me and tells me not to ask out any help, except from my cellmate, Ellen. She isn't anywhere close to the computer room, at least that's what I notice. Izzy comes, but Cindy then gives her a kick in the back. Then, Izzy actually gives some clues on what I should do. I try to follow her instructions as best as I can, but of course I'm very tired and hungry. Izzy tells me that in order to get the computer to work again, I have to replace a battery, reseat one memory stick, and replace the SSD*. After everything is done, I try to turn on the computer again. It prompts me to insert some USB stick. I'm not given the needed USB stick, so I just ask Cindy for it. She then gives me the USB stick, but I can't plug it in. So she also gives the right adapter to use it. But that got me thinking about why the kids still use devices from the 2010s. It's 2030, yet the children don't use anything even remotely considered modern.

Then, I'm asked to organize all files on the computer and put them in pre-made folders. I'm forced to work alone, no other adults are out there to help me, only a child who checks if everything is in the right spot, exactly where he wants the files to go. I'm regularly forced to get up, and let that child check if everything is exactly in the right place. Often times, I put something in the wrong folder by accident, and the child gives me a slap, or a punch in the stomach. Then, he doesn't help me with moving the file to the right folder. I just can't keep up which file must go in which folder. I try to keep a little notebook of which files go where and which ones have been moved already, but the sheer amount of files pretty much makes it a nearly impossible task to keep up with. I also try to put a marker on files which are already in the correct position, but even there I make so many mistakes it's pretty much useless. It's impossible to keep a documentation of which files are in position, or even where each file needs to go, just because there are so many files to be moved.

At that time, when I'm about to give up, Ellen shows up. She offers me some hep putting the files in the right folders, and then, just by looking at the face of that little boy, I realize he's Ben! He then gives Ellen a small push in her arm. I just move along with no interruptions whatsoever for hours, sorting thousands or even millions of files. I try to use an automatic sorting program, but even it puts some files in the wrong folders. But I keep looking after the program, and so does Ben. He then comes up to give me a small hug, but then punches me in the stomach. That really confuses the heck out of me!

Later, I'm returned to my cell, and Ben comes with me. He gives me a glass of water, and then leaves without even saying goodbye. Billy shows up out of nowhere and praises me for my dedication to the job I have to do today. Ellen is also scolded for helping another adult. Billy tells her the only people adults are supposed to help are children, and adults need to do the work they need to do themselves. I'm first told I can call for help from my cellmate, but even that isn't tolerated any more!? That's really getting on my nerves if I think about it for even a literal minute. I can't even drink my glass of water. Billy, as a result, tries to pour the water in my mouth, but I just can't swallow that much water. I try to lay down on my bed, but even after hours of rest, I still can't truly fall asleep. I think that's because of the experiences I have today, as I keep thinking about them.

*Solid-State Drive