"The mute."

Summary: Colby starts working at a special needs facility only Sam isn't special needs, he's just a mute, scared of being hurt when he speaks.

"Right this way Mr Brock." A kind lady flashed her white teeth at him, momentarily blinding him.

Remind me never to look at her teeth again.

"This is the special needs unit, you will be assigned to a specific person, everyone in here is in for a different reason." Nodding, he folded his arms and scanned the room briefly with his eyes, everyone looked normal, men, women, just stuck together in a small room. "You have Samuel Golbach."

The lady pointed towards a man further down the small room, he had headphones in, eyes closed and head against a bookshelf. There was a book in his hand but he just wasn't reading it. "Feel free to go over and start, come see me if you need anything else."

She flashed him another blinding smile before walking back behind the desk, he blinked a couple times to get his vision back. Walking over to the sleeping? Boy, he pulled out a chair and cleared his throat, tapping his fingers awkwardly as he sat there.

"Hello?" Tapping Sams knee, he opened one eye, but that one eye made Colbys throat stop working for some reason, his eye was a piercingly clear blue. "I'm Colby." Holding out his hand, Sam took his earphones out and stared down at the hand annoyed as he stared at Colby with both piercing blue eyes this time.

"What are you in here for?" He asked, watching how Sam went to open his mouth but stopped, something flashing across his face, almost like a bolt of lightning, there for a second and gone the next. "Okay well, my names Colby Brock, you don't need to address me as sir or mister, that feels weird, seeing as we probably are around the same age."

Chuckling slightly, he looked around the room and saw everyone else happily chatting or playing a board game, the only thing on Sams table was a notebook, with several words written across it.

"I am very patient so this doesn't bother me you know? What music you listening to?" Sam held up his phone and cosmic love by Florence and the machines was playing. "Nice choice, I tend to fall more towards her make up your mind but that's just a personal preference."

Grabbing his phone, he opened Spotify and showed Sam his Spotify, Sams eyes brightened as they bonded through their phones over their similar music taste.

"What about this, you seem to be quite a good listener and I highly doubt that you're gonna talk anytime soon, so I'm guessing your a mute?" He queried as Sam nodded. "By choice?" Sam nodded again.

"Well how about I tell you more about myself and you write down in your notebook what you want to ask me or tell me? That way I can get to know you better without making you speak or force you to do something you don't want to do." Sam smiled and nodded, a thankful look passed through his face as Colby relaxed in his chair and folded his leg over his knee politely, still facing Sam.

"Well I was born in Kansas, kinda of a loner, stuck to myself a lot. Fell in love, was left for dead on the side of a snowy highway about five years ago, a guy named Elton picked me up with his, well, my best friend now Corey and took me back to their place, LA, right down the street actually. Been with them ever since, got this job about three months ago and wanted to prove to myself that I can be something more than somebody's garbage."

Sam held up his notebook,

Tell me the good stuff not just your back story, I want the original stuff.

Colby read it. "Oh really?" Nodding, he flipped the page and continued to write as Colby continued.

"Well in my mid 20s so four years ago, I got really into teaching, then I sucked ass at it, got kicked out for setting a bathroom on fire, didn't mean too, wrong place wrong time." Sam didn't quite believe that didn't mean to do that.