𝗈𝗇𝖾

•Maya's POV•

Once I heard the sound of my alarm, I got out of my bed as quick as possible. I knew if I got even one minute late, I would have to face the wrath of my mother. It was 6:00 a.m which means I have to finish everything up as quick as possible so I can cook breakfast for the family. I grabbed my towel and rushed to the bathroom to do my morning routine as fast as I could.

I am Maya, Maya Singhania. I am 23 years old and I have finished school and did 2 years of college. I went to the local college in Mumbai. Not to peruse my dreams but just so I won't come in the way of my parents. I just learned a few things which weren't what I wanted to learn about. I wanted to become a doctor to save lives, but my parents always said, "A bad omen like you doesn't need to study just to work as a maid".

In my 2nd year of college, my parents took me out of college because I came home late twice in a row as I had a project. I tried to tell them but they kept beating me and blaming me of whoring around. Since that day, I shut down my dream of becoming a doctor and all my other dreams that I had.

Now everyone might be wondering, why do my parents abuse me, right? Well, the answer to that is...I don't even know. They just abuse me for every little mistake of mine and treat me in an ill manner. On the other hand, my little brother gets everything and all the attention a child craves for. I am not even allowed to call them 'mom' or 'dad'. Each day I wake up thinking it will be a day where everything changes but at the end of the day, that hope always shatters. But, as long as I get shelter and some food I am happy with this life. Sometimes I don't even get that. I have to starve myself sometimes because of simple mistakes. I just crave for a little love from my parents but in the end, I never end up getting any, but I still have a little hope in my heart that I will get some love and respect.

I finished showering and put on a plain red churidar with a matching yellow dupatta. I put moisturizer on my face and put chapstick on. I left my hair down and was officially ready for the day. I really don't like makeup or over doing myself.

I prayed for everyone's day to go well, like always and I realized the time was ticking and ran downstairs to the kitchen.

• • • • •

I went to the kitchen and started making chai plus kneading the dough for the parathas. "WHY AREN'T YOU DONE COOKING YET?" boomed my mother's voice as she entered the kitchen. Well this is my mother Swetha, Swetha Singhania. The women who hates me and could do anything to get rid of me.

I looked up at her with fear struck on my face. "I'm asking you something!" Her loud voice always made me timid. "I..I..." I was a stuttering mess. How could I tell her that she is early today? "Yo..u got u..p earli...er then.... nor...mal s..o..." She didn't let me finish and slapped me straight across my face. It stinged really bad but I'm used to it. "How dare you talk back to me!?" she yelled.

I couldn't say anything back. If I did, I would get slapped again. "I... am so...rry I will fin..ish up quic..kly.." "You be-" She got cut off by my little brother Rohan Singhania. Well for the people that know him call him Ro. "Mom is breakfast ready? I have to go to college." said Rohan. "Good morning sweetie. This peasant is almost done. Now get lost and finish. My baby needs to leave." said my mother.

I quickly rushed to the kitchen and started cooking. Now everyone might be wondering, why don't the rich Singhania's have maids in this house. Well we do but they are here to clean everyone's room, except mine, obviously. That is because my parents don't like me touching their things. I am not allowed to talk with the maids or anyone when I go out for groceries.