37 Losing the Bet

Part 37 Losing the Bet

The villagers became curious and watched them with the same curiosity. They felt relieved, seeing the brightened face of Akash. Of course, Akash got a very good set of cards.

All of their eyes turned on Arnav as he started arranging his cards but they couldn't see any change of expression on his face. He looked calm.

Akash is the one who is going to discard first. He waited for Akash to do that. Akash put the card down. The card was heart Queen... without any expression on his face; Arnav showed his cards off, keeping them on the table, and finished the game.

The hall became pin-drop silent whereas Akash became furious. He stood with seething anger and threw the chair away as he couldn't accept the defeat. He tried to take a step towards Arnav who was in the name of Ankit but the villagers stopped him by clutching his hands by either side.

"The inspector is here." One of the villagers whispered.

Akash looked at the inspector who was sitting casually, waiting for him to do something.

"He is waiting to get a CASE in this village for the last five years. Don't give him a reason to bring a police station to our village." Another one said.

"If you give him a reason to bring a police station, you will be tabooed from our village forever." The first one warned.

"We warned you not to bet on Khushi. See... what happened now... you have lost her... not only her but your dignity." The second one chided.

Akash was fuming. His eyes became teary in anger and his ears became red. He just wanted to kill the old man in front of him.

"He is a cheater... he cheated on me..." Akash yelled, pointing at Arnav.

"Then, why did you play with him, that too betting on your would-be wife?" Daniel asked.

"I wanted to get my property back. That's why I played."

"We can do nothing with that. It's over. You have to accept the defeat. Don't forget you have been signed the paper." Daniel said.

"How could I let an old man marry Khushi?" He sneered.

"You should have thought about it before itself." Someone from the crowd said.

"My mother-in-law won't agree to it," he said with an attitude.

"It's not our problem. You are the one who ought to answer her because it's you who lost her to the old man. And... even though the bride is not ready to marry him we don't care. She has to marry him." Daniel said with the same attitude.

"This is too much..." Akash yelled.

"Betting on a girl not looked too much for you?" Shyam asked.

"Look, take my property but Khushi..." Akash said.

Before anyone answered, Arnav said...

"I will give your property back but the girl..." Arnav spoke for the first time.

"You are looking like a half-dead person... do you need a young girl as your wife?" Akash spitted fire...

"Did I ask you to bet on her? It's you who brought her into the game... what was my mistake? Why should I give up on something which I won?"

"She is a small girl... how could she live with you happily? Can't you consider it?"

"You don't have to worry about it. She will be happy with me."