chapter 41- fifth year

⚠️ TW: MENTION OF BLOOD, ABUSE. ⚠️

  the next day daphne and i grab our schedules. we compare them, and end up having most classes together.

after many tiring classes, the last class of the day finally came. defense against the dark arts.

  i dread the thought of being in that class with that perky umbridge. something about her made my blood boil.

  "come on y/n- do you want to be late to her class on the first day?" daphne snaps as she notices me slowly walking behind her to the class.

  "sorry- sorry."

i speed up a little and soon enough we enter into the class.

  students are laughing about. everyone looks like they are enjoying themselves. someone even puts a charm on a paper bird that makes it fly gracefully around the room.

i notice daphne takes a seat by another slytherin, leaving me alone. that little shit.

  i look around for an empty seat and see the only one not taken is by draco.

  just great.

  reluctantly, i walk over to the table and sit my books quietly on the desk. draco isn't laughing or talking with anyone. he's just sitting there, looking a bit too tired. once he notices me he quickly looks away.

"don't be too happy to see me." i mutter slouching down in my chair.

"piss off."

  "draco, about the ki-"

i get interrupted by the paper bird flying in my face. quickly i swat it away and i watch the bird fly around the room freely.

  "what?" draco snaps turning to me.

  "sorry, about the kiss it did-"

  "good morning children." this time umbridge cuts me off.

  i groan and turn to her, draco still staring at me. i notice the once flying paper bird that was once flying around happily is now lying on the floor burnt. what a bitch.

  "ordinary wizarding level examinations, o/w/ls more commonly know as owls. study hard and you will be rewarded, fail to do so and the consequences may be severe." once she finally shuts up she hands out books to every student.

i notice students reading through the books, that's when hermione speaks up.

"there is nothing in here about using defensive spells." hermione says and as i flip through the book i notice that too.

"using defensive spells? well i can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

what?

"we're not going to use magic." ron asks, and i turn around to see a confused look on his face.

"you will be learning about defensive spells in a secure risk-free way." umbridge responds sweetly.

she's really getting on my nerves.

"what use is that? if we're gonna be attacked it won't be risk-free." harry says.

"exactly." i mutter under my breath. i get glares from both umbridge and draco.

"students will raise their hands when they speak in my class."

i roll my eyes.

"it is the view of the ministry that a theoretical knowledge would be sufficient to get you through your examinations which after all is what school is all about."