Death 1 / A Moment in Time

A/N: Here's to the end!!! Last night, the last first episode aired (again) of season 15 and I'm heartbroken the show is coming to an end. I don't know what that means for these stories, but I'll make it to the end of the season for sure. I'm taking a small break from Bobby's Daughter and Dean stories since I'm in the middle of courses right now and have a lot going on.
So here's one that's been waiting in the wind! I began posting some of these chapters on my Tumblr and got my first request which was super exciting, so I figured I would post it here!

Idea: @archangelarianna on tumblr with helpful advice from siranck

Prompt: "Death x pregnant reader that's his wife with curly brown hair, brown eyes, and freckles."

You weren't surprised by how life ended up. It had never been an easy trek. You were still considered to be young by normal standards. The ring on your finger was never too heavy. It was perfect. Life should have been perfect as well.

But of course, Fate had to come along and mess it up. The most painful part was knowing you would more than likely be alone, forever. You had married the man known as Death, an immortal deity that collected and stored the souls as they parted from earth. You had fallen madly in love and soon enough, you were with child. The pair of you got on surprisingly well.

That was until it was time for your soul to be collected. Despite being a rebel growing up, you were a good person. Truly. You knew you would end up in some sort of heaven. The problem was you didn't want to go. Not yet. Not while you still had a life ahead of you. Not before your child had the chance to be brought into the world and grow up.

It all happened so fast. Your brown curls fell into your eyes as you walked quickly along the sidewalk. Your back was aching and you needed to sit. Death was a phone call away but you didn't want to interrupt, you knew how busy he was. You could handle errands by yourself. You were very capable and you both knew that. Your confidence was something that had attracted Death in the first place. Personality always played a large part in who you found exciting in life. Sarcasm, witt, the ability to charm so easily... those were just a few characteristics Death possessed. Despite your natural beauty, it was your kindness towards others that led Death to you.

You were the kind of person that stopped to help anybody and everybody. You attended to injured animals, provided to the homeless, and was a friend to all in need. Your sweet stature was endearing to someone always surrounded by such a gruesome, horrid style. Death took advantage of his abilities, showing you the many wonders of the supernatural world you had known nothing about.

Unfortunately, Death's skills were not enough to stop the stupid people of the world. When your life ended due to careless mistakes, you were cold and confused. You remained on the sidewalk though the world seemed to have filtered through many bright shades, like you were watching an old film.

"Y/N..." The slow, deep voice that belonged to the person you addressed as your home spoke. It was Death. But Death shouldn't have been there... he had priorities and was nearly an hour away.

"Death? Love, what's going on?" You asked.

You felt a stirring in your stomach. You closed a fist and released it, scared to glance down. You and your baby were fine. Maybe this was some strange pregnancy deception you hadn't read about. Nothing was making sense and you felt horribly sick.

"When I said 'see you later' this morning, this isn't what I meant," Death said with a sigh.

His eyebrows drew together, clearly upset. His dark eyes finally met your brown ones and you were surprised to see tears had begun to fill them. You reached for Death's hand.

"Y/N, my dear, you died."

You laughed.

"Don't sound so morbid, silly. Of course I didn't die. I was just grabbing some-"

Death's hand intertwined yours. He was never one to interrupt you, so when he did, you listened.

"Y/N, look around. There is no one else here, it's just you and me. I'm... I'm supposed to collect your soul now." Death's eyes flickered hesitantly between yours and your stomach, that had grown so much in these last few months.

Okay, so you passed denial. Anger didn't feel right. But grief? Grief was all that remained. Not only would Death and you be losing one another, the loves of your lives, but you would be losing your baby as well. This child would have had two caring, loving parents. They would have been rambunctious and reserved at the same time, willing to have the goofiness of a lifetime, while still behind hesitant to allow for play dates. You didn't even know if you were having a boy or a girl.

"There's nothing that can be done?" You whispered.

You bit down on your lip as if that would keep it from shaking and your eyes from filling with tears. You embraced Death, wrapping your arms as tightly as possible, savoring what moments remained.

"I..." Death paused repeatedly, starting but not finishing sentences, before clearing his throat. "I've never been one to break the rules. I guess now is why deities like me aren't meant to be married. Our human selves get too attached to let go. You've had such a short life, my dear. I can't accept this. I can't."

His voice grew quieter into your ear. Your hands gripped his jacket, the only strength left to properly stand. Was this goodbye?

Death pulled you apart, staring into your brown eyes, filled with remorse. You saw a flash of what you were sure was heaven. Death was no longer Death, but a person. There were seconds of your child growing up, from taking first steps to running around, giggling, to dealing with school work, and graduating school. That was pure happiness. You could have that fake fantasy, but in your heart you knew that it was only that. Fake.

"Can't exceptions be made?" You pleaded.

A tear slipped and Death moved to wipe it away. A kiss was placed gently against your forehead. You felt him nod. You waited for an answer.

When you opened your eyes, you were standing a few blocks down, where you had been twenty minutes ago. You glanced at the clock through a store window.

Time had been reversed.