Gabriel 4/ Alive Part I

Idea: found someplace. Send help.

Prompt: Imagine finding out Gabriel is still alive and keeping it a secret until one day it slips when you are chilling out with the boys at the bunker.

"Movie night?" You suggested. There were plenty of popcorn packets in a large cabinet. You were still getting used to the Bunker, but one night when you could not find a hunt, decided it was a good time for a night-in with the guys.

"Sure. As long as I get to pick." Dean yawned, his flannel shirt unveiling the lower part of his stomach as he stretched. He noticed you were flicking through DVDs, though most of them were fairly old. He continued into the kitchen and grabbed a beer.

"Um, no." Sam and you answered in unison. Sam was sitting in the chair next to the couch you lounged on, reading. His coffee was still steaming, but the horrifying thought of allowing Dean to pick the movie was enough to grab his attention. For once, he appeared fairly relaxed, in a fitted grey shirt and sweatpants.

Dean sat on the other half of your red-dust colored couch with a frown. "Why not?"

Sam and you made eye contact, both with raised eyebrows. You knew you were both thinking the same thoughts. It reminded you of someone else that you knew, but would only choose a movie like... that, just to tease you and either put you in a mood or end up changing it to a comedy. You actually have not seen this person in a few weeks, but didn't worry too much despite knowing he was on the run. It was crazy to fall in love with an angel, heartbreaking when he died... but he didn't stay away long, as who could keep the great angel Gabriel down? And now you're hiding the secret that he's alive, even from your own friends.

You cleared your throat, trying to distract your thoughts away. "Like it isn't obvious, Dean. Let's think of something actually... good. Horror, maybe? Or a documentary..."

"I think we have enough horror. Maybe we should just skip the movie and call Castiel to see if he can help us with our main problem at the moment." Dean suggested.

"We're taking a night off, Dean. No hunts, no cases, nothing. We don't have to watch horror. It was just a suggestion," you responded.

You realized you might have spent too much time thinking about Gabriel, even if it was just for a few moments. Sometimes your thoughts come off as prayers to him, and if he's busy, you don't want to distract him. It made you miss him even more, so you tried to focus on the whole out of sight - out of mind, kind of thing.

Sam remained silent, now flipping through a magazine. You sighed. "Well, if we're going to watch one of your favorite movies, then I'm going to need a drink."

Three drinks and a movie later, you closed your eyes slowly before reopening them. You were a little passed buzzed and your toes were tingling by the end of the movie. Sam had continued to read his magazine and jotted a few notes down before setting his stuff down and actually paying attention. The movie was more romantic than you expected it to be, was obviously intimate, and a fair amount of action. Dean nearly seemed bored throughout, but you guessed that was just a trained reaction.

A conversation began to pick up between the brothers and you went to switch from your daytime chilling in the house clothes to more appropriate sleep wear. You sat down for a few minutes to write a letter to Gabriel. Every once and a while, he would send you an address, and leas often, an always different phone number. The first few times you visited, he was only there once. The timing didn't always add up, but it was okay for the most part, as long as you always had a way to communicate. It seemed like he would stay in one place for at least a few days because he would respond to your letters, which you had to carefully intercept as the bunker does not have a mailing address. You took a deep breath and began.

Hey lover,

In response to your last letter, I will start with no, I have not watched any new episodes of our show since the last time we were together.
You know I don't mind us hanging out inside, but I have missed going out in public with you. Just the simple things, like holding hands or going out for coffee.
Things have slowed down a bit at the Bunker. The boys have been spending time with Castiel. I think they're worried, since they have lost Balthazar... and you.

You paused to clear your thoughts and went to the restroom, leaving your door open and lights on. When you returned, the letter was no longer on your desk. Okay. That's strange. Maybe you put it in the drawer. Nope. You scanned the room, searching to see if anything else appeared misplaced. Other than the missing letter, your room appeared to be in order. Even the hidden box of letters received from Gabriel were in its place. You said a quick prayer to calm your nerves, hoping he was nearby.

You did your best to act as if nothing was wrong when you walked back into the main living room, but the guys' faces exposed the truth. They were sitting next to each other. Dean's arms were crossed. Sam's leg was tapping anxiously and his eyes were stuck on a sheet of paper that laid on the coffee table. Your letter. Dean jaw was clenched and you didn't like the look on his face when his eyes met yours, stopping you in your tracks.

"Y/N, why were you writing a letter to Gabriel?" He asked, his voice too calm.

"Why were you in my room?" Answering a question with a question is always a good idea and most certainly will end wonderfully.

Dean ran a hand through his hair. "We wanted to know if you were changing because you wanted to go to sleep or if you wanted to watch another movie. Y/N, why were you writing a letter to Gabriel?"

Man, you really hated lying to them. "Is that such a bad thing? You know he was my boyfriend-" You tried to find a good excuse. You could see Gabriel talking to you, holding you the first time you reconnected after what was meant to be his death. It's not good for them to know, cupcake. It'll only complicate things and things are already complicated.

"No." Sam cut you off, finally meeting your eyes, and standing up. "This is writing present tense to a dead angel. To Gabriel. The trickster. He betrayed us, Y/N. And I know you loved him, but this letter makes it seem like you're hiding things from us."

You could easily lie and act as if everything was as fine as it could be, that you were just writing letters to your dead boyfriend. You knew you would be able to convince the untrusting brothers, but you did not want to. They were your friends and the three of you shared so much. Frankly, you had met them because of Gabriel. You were both on search of what you believed to be the Trickster, ran into each other on the job, and worked your way into being friends and hunting buddies. But you had also fallen in love with a hidden archangel that you would do anything for. The scales were weighed and you opened your mouth to speak as the faintest creak from the kitchen gathered your attention.

"Don't shoot, it's only me." A sweet voice sang out. He was shorter than the brothers and it was a nice change. His green eyes were mesmerizing, as you felt it had been an eternity since you had gazed into them. He winked at you as he stepped out of the shadows. Dean shot out of his seat, grabbing the knife that lay on the ground next to the couch. Sam stared in shock.

It was Gabriel.