Castiel 5/ memories

A/N: Hey, guys! With Supernatural coming to an end (at some point), I've got a writing bug and have been feeling very encouraged to write recently, so I'll be posting more than normal. As always, feel free to ask! I know I wasn't active much in the past year or so, but I'm looking for some good qualities about 2020 and this is one of them. Also, I'm getting rid of the Idea section at the top of each story because I don't feel like it's necessary unless it's a request or something specific.

I thought about breaking this story into two parts, but considering I lost sleep over this I decided it best to stay as one.

Prompt: Accessing Castiel's good memories to help with a case leads to issues in your relationship

Once the plan had been explained as thoroughly as possible in the short frame, you quickly jumped into action. You were prepared for the surprise attack on the creatures you would be allowing into your home. This was one of the few times it seemed like everything was order and there was little chance for something to go wrong. Of course, you were proven wrong in less than ten minutes. It could have been one for the record books at how sour turn things went for you.

It began with taking Castiel, your boyfriend, and rummaging through his head. He smiled reassuringly at you as he leaned back in the chair. "Y/N, there is no need to worry. I won't be harmed and this process will go smoothly. We are safely out of harm's way while Sam and Dean take on the monsters."

You nodded and prayed for the best. A door was kicked open from another room and you heard shots fired. Steadily, you grabbed the needle to extract the memories. Castiel took a breath and closed his eyes, shutting out the world. You set a comforting hand in his to hold while the process began. He hardly flinched when it happened. You took a breath as you watched him fall asleep, entranced. You put what could only be described as magic dust into the vial, swirling it around. When you were certain it was properly mixed with the other ingredients, you took a new needle and injected it into your wrist, setting a timer on your watch.

Time to find out your boyfriend's fondest memories.

You stayed crouched on a knee, waiting for the dizziness to pass. It took a minute to realize the swirling was not just inside your head, but also what you were seeing. It began with what appeared to truly be Castiel's first ever memory, of his creation, and being surrounded by thousands of angels. You felt a warm sense of family. You stood up to find the scenes changing rapidly, watching Castiel over a few thousands of years, most of interactions with the brothers he used to be closest to.

You stumbled into something new and sat down on the ground next to Castiel, who could not see you. It was one of the first times he had used a vessel, but you could easily see the emotions written across his face. It was pure joy. He was staring at the sunset. Below the horizon was a village, filled with families interacting. You guessed this was before the first major war in angel history before things went south. A soft smile played on his face before he dusted off his pants and began heading in a different direction. You followed and this Castiel changed - as did the world surrounding the two of you. Castiel played with animals and watched over people, occasionally sending gifts to them. He was discovering new things about the world. You believed it to be some little form of rebellion, that his heart and soul were always evident despite his belief that he spent his entire life up until not even twenty years ago as a stern soldier for heaven.

Finally, your Cas appeared. Although he was much younger here, he was still quite recognizable with scruffy dark hair and startlingly blue eyes. It began with his first meeting to Dean and as the angel became human, the feelings of happiness increased. There were interactions with Claire Novak as Castiel worked towards being a father figure. You followed the Winchesters and Castiel into a hallway this time. A recognizable face appeared and you briefly knew it to be Crowley. A woman pushed past you. You got a bad feeling in your gut as you seconds before watching helplessly as Castiel took this woman and pressed her against the wall in a less than hostile way. Castiel's memory provided the information floating around. This was a demon named Meg... and he learned what he was doing from the Pizza Man. He was kissing her.