Gabriel vs Lucifer 1 / Torn between

Prompt: Imagine Gabriel working to convince you to return to Heaven but you have lost faith and don't want to leave behind your other best friend, Lucifer. The catch is they're both in love with you.

Being an angel sucked.

You had to defend one of your closest companions when you knew he was in the wrong because protecting your friendship was more important than allowing him to be alone. It was even worse when one of your other brothers was constantly on the run, wanting nothing to do with being an angel.

That became even more complicated when he returned with a mission and a belief that you needed to return to Heaven. Choosing between loves, brothers, and friends was not an easy task. Combine that into angels and life became all that more stressful. And they weren't just brothers, because it wasn't like you were a typical human family, you were coworkers, and occasionally lovers. 

So here you were arguing with Gabriel about Lucifer and returning to Heaven. Just an average day.

"I don't care if it sounds petty. Heaven has fallen one too many times. Our Father left and no one has heard from Him in a long time. I'm done. I care for you, Gabriel, I do. Honestly, I missed you very much when you were gone. We were a close group once and quite a fun time. But Lucifer was part of that group too. Before you say anything, I know what he did was wrong. I do. He overreacted big time and doesn't regret it, which is stupid, I agree. Gabe, a long time ago our Dad told us to never leave anyone behind, and I'm sticking to those words. I can protect Lucifer, keep him from mass destruction this time. I know I fell short last time, but I've learned from my mistakes, and I believe you have too. My dear, I don't know why you got dragged back into this, but this can't happen."

You were surprised by the strong sincerity and courageousness of your words. You leaned back in the plush seat as Gabriel leaned forward with wide, focused eyes. They stared at your twisted hands before meeting your y/e/c, certain eyes. Gabriel leaned forwards, placing his hands as support under his head. 

"Y/N... You have to know, first and foremost none of this is your fault. You have always been so kind, so good to every person you came across. Lucifer made his choice and it had nothing to do with you. I haven't considered returning in so many years, but the world is falling apart without someone in charge. Do you remember our brother Castiel? You two were created into existence around the same time. I sincerely think he has a good chance at being the leader and after some convincing, I agreed to go with him as support. And I really want you to be with us, be with me. Heaven will surely be boring without you," he said.  

Gabriel matched your tone of voice, which was shocking. You only met with him a few times over the years when he pretended to be Loki so you were used to his jokester persona. This was someone new, maybe even a bit reformed. You had not seen Gabriel this serious since you were both soldiers in Heaven, a long, long time ago.

"I have to try. It's worth a shot. I understand that you have deemed it to be hopeless. However, I do not agree with your perspective. I am willing to stand with you and with Castiel if all else fails. It's been a while, but I want to talk to Lucifer."

Begrudgingly, Gabriel agreed. The two of you shared a smile and a small trip to visit the hunters and where they were keeping the fallen archangel.

-

"Hello, lovely. It's been a couple of centuries, hasn't it? Tell me, what have you been up to lately? I haven't seen you in Dreamworld lately. I'm so glad you finally came to get me out of here. It's such a lonely cell," Lucifer commented with a wink.