Intermission: Promise

______________________

The setting sun painted the streets orange, poor or rich, strong or weak minding their own business and helping make the world turn.

Despite the limp, he could only smile. He knows that despite everything that happened it feels like he is in a dream.

Yet that feeling goes away as he closed the door slowly, hoping that Jazmine isn't home yet.

"Cody is that you love?" He heard her voice as he sighs and placed his coat on the coat rack.

"Yes love, just removing my coat," he said while he heard silent footsteps going to him.

"How was the meet-" she said she takes in his appearance before noticing his ankle.

"What the heck! What happened to your leg?!" Jazmine shouted in concern as she quickly supports him and guide him to the living room.

"Who did this to you? Have you stopped them from getting away?" She asked as many more questions flood his ears.

"Calm down love, it's not that bad," he said trying to calm her down.

"Not that bad?!" Jazmine shouted while Cody quickly grabbed her. A somber look in his eyes.

"Jazmine... please," he said with a sad smile on his face. She glared at him before it all goes away with that smile on his face.

"I know its bad... I know there's many people who hate me for my role in this story... but I know that I must continue so that us... our children... everyone in our lives live a peaceful life," he said  while she could only stay quiet.

He was about to continue before she placed her finger on his mouth.

"It's okay love... get some rest... I'll get our medical supplies for that ankle," she said while he gave her a tired smile.

"Thank you love," he said as he kissed her and sat on his recliner while she left.

He looked at his ankle with a pained look while he leaned back, allowing his recliner to bend and let him rest.

His thoughts wonder about his family at home is. Based on what Maria said to him, they weren't really doing well with the village nearly falling apart  but beyond that he could tell that they moved on from him and Carlos.

Both of course being treated as troublemakers in the village despite doing nothing.

"Oh how I wish things were simple like back then," he said holding onto his pocketwatch, while he felt his tiredness come up to him.

"And I thought I would still be awake until Jaz comes home," he though while he slowly closes his eyes.

_________

She arrives with the medical supplies, only to see her husband sleeping in his recliner.

"Looks like someone couldn't wait," she thought jokingly while she slowly pulls up his pants sleeve to assess the damage.

The good news is that he doesn't needed to go to the hospital, with him immediately rapling the wound in bandages and a splint to support it.

That still doesn't mean it needs proper treatment. She takes a poach of warm water and placed it on the swelling.

She looks at her sleeping husband knowing she can't be angry at him for it was his passion and belief to help change that made her love him.

TO BE CONTINUED