Intermission: Silence of Dawn

Early morning, Cody rose up from bed. Entering his office he started to write a letter to Jazmine and his children.

"Cody, come back to sleep," He disturbed his sleeping wife.

"I have an early meeting out of town," he responded while Jazmine groggily looked up to him.

"It's still dark outside," She said as she groggily looked outside of the window.

"I know, I just need to write something down," Cody said as he rubbed the back of his neck. Regretting about what he is about to do.

"Why are you writing like you're running out of time," She asked while Cody rose up from his desk and hugged her.

"Shhh," Cody said trying not to wake up the children.

"Come back to bed, that would be enough," She said as she tried to pull her husband's hand and drag him away from his office.

"I'll be back before you know I'm gone," Cody promised, knowing that he isn't really coming back.

"Come back to sleep," She urged once more as he looked to his side.

"This meeting is at dawn," he said in a sad tone.

"Well, I'm going back to sleep," She said too groggy to pick up his sad tone.

"Hey," he called out to her before she exited his office.

"The best of wives and best of women," Cody said as he smiled towards her. It warmed her heart as she went back to their bedroom.

Cody could only sigh as he waited for the one man he knows he can trust after Ken Drick's death.

A silent knock on his door.

"Come in," Cody said facing the window of his office.

"Sir, You called me?" Mey asked as he came inside. The papers on his desk a mess.

"As a matter of fact, I did," Cody said as he turned to face him.

He went to his desk, taking out his glasses. He placed it back on, checking Mey to see if he could really trust him.

"Mey, as my final act as Secretary of the War, I want you to command the 212th Battalion,"

Mey recognizes that he was opening his desk. He recognizes a familiar case that is always held on every soldier's utility belt.

"You're going to a duel aren't you?" Mey said in disbelief, realizing what Cody is planning to do.

"Mey, You don't understand! This duel could determine the fate of the country... My family," Cody said as he placed on his trench coat.

"Then let me be your right-hand man, one last time," Mey said as he looked at Cody dead in the eyes.

"One last time," Cody said while they started to leave.

"Mey wait for me outside, I have to do something," Cody said as Mey nodded.

He went up to his son's room.

"Henry, wake up," Cody said as he gently shook his son awake.

"Dad?" Henry asked groggily while he smiled sadly. Waking up properly, he shushed him so that he won't disturb the entire household.

"I want you to have this son," Cody said as he give Henry his pocket watch.

"But dad, don't you need this?" Henry asked while he shook his head.

"Keep it with you son. It will guide you in the darkest moments that will accompany all of us," Cody said as he hugged his son one last time.

END OF INTERMISSION