Chapter 23: The Constitution

____May 4th, 1933 ____
Vichisburg

Cody entered the Assembly chambers, while the busy streets of Vichisburg reminded him of Kyra. The woman he failed to save and defend, the one he failed to protect as the gunshot that ended her life echoed in his mind.

National Guardsmen closed the doors as the last few members of the Constitutional Assembly entered.

__________

"Here is the Articles of Confederation," the document was presented to them all while the speaker continued to speak.

"Due to many of the problems we faced during the revolution, this articles provide law and order during those violent years," everyone nodded in agreement.

"I will give the stand to Magdiwang Representative and Supreme Council Member, General Rivera," The speaker spoke as Cody took the podium. He took out some papers, including the draft he had been working on since last December.

"What if we push through with the idea that the local government would be given the right of self-governance while the National government is an overseer?" He said while his fellow representatives murmured amongst themselves.

"Think that if we have a strong centralized government while allowing the provinces to govern by themselves," Cody said while members murmured to each other in silent agreement.

"I present to all of you a draft of the Constitution... I only provided the basic framework of how our country should run yet its up to all of you in this convention to decide whether it should be used or not," he said while copies of the draft were passed throughout the hall.

He watched in silent anxiety while radicals nodded in agreement with the articles presented to them, while moderates turned their noses up in disgust. Neutral members gave mixed reactions.

"General Rivera with all due respect, your ideas for the constitution are strong yet extremely flawed considering we're building a nation," everyone turned to look at Judge Tarkin. He looked down from the draft of the constitution looking at Cody.

"A strong centralized government similar to Monarchy goes against the ideals of our revolution," Tarkin continued while Cody didn't even give him the pleasure of a frown.

"This was based on the observations within our army... merchants only accepted British Pounds, many paychecks that were supposed to be given to our soldiers at the end of their first term were postponed because the Articles didn't allow Congress to push thr provinces into providing pay for them," Cody said while Judge Tarkin stood up and glared at him. Tensions started building up between both men as the room became silent.

"So you're doing this just get your pay?" He retorted, disgusted at Cody and the Radicals.

"No... we're doing this for the men who protected our citizens. The men who fought in the trenches while you enjoyed the luxuries of sitting on a chair passing unfair judgment on those who don't deserve it," Commander Lawrence said in a calm tone, standing on the side of the radicals.

"You're not in this conversation Commander!" Tarkin said heatedly while the entire convention started devolving into shouting and arguments.

Cody quickly took out his revolver and shot it at the roof.

"WE'RE NOT BLOODY ANIMALS!" Cody shouted while everyone suddenly fell silent.

"We're no better than the damn British if we're fighting each other!" he continued while Tarkin stood up and slammed his fist in anger.