Chapter 7: Council Meeting

______March 3, 1932_____

The Revolution is at an all-time high. National Guards wander the streets as Ken Drick watches from his window.

"Sir," Ken Drick turned to see the captain of the Presidential Guard and Lieutenant-Commander Lovington.

"Sir, I am here in behalf of General Rivera... He asked me to deliver this letter to you," Parco said as he took out and gave the letter to him.

He took it and started reading it. He nodded as he placed the letter on his desk.

"Thank you Lieutenant Lovington, you're dismissed," Parco nodded as he took down his hat and bowed. Leaving the room as the captain could only wait for the president's orders.

"Captain Newhiskey... Please assemble the Supreme Council and Revolutionary Congress," Ken Drick ordered as he nodded.

"Yes, Sir," as the captain left, he could only breathe a sigh of relief for the recent victory at Vichisburg.

France
Versailles

French National Guards roam the streets as Kyra could only look at the former royal residence with awe.

While the French Revolution left the former royal residence close to rubble. It left an impact on Europe and the entire world

"Madam Secretary I see you admiring the former royal residence?" She turned to see it was one of the National Guards.

"Yes... I just couldn't help but admire the intricate design," Kyra said as the guard nodded.

"Oui, it truly is a masterpiece... While it has gone through many historical events it has always been maintained... Surprisingly even during our Revolution back at 1789," the guard said pride for his country painting his tone as he placed down his trifold hat to pay respect to those who fell.

"How do we stabilize a government that just came out of revolution?" Kyra asked as the guard could only shrug.

"Sometimes the best thing to do is to wait instead of sending people to the guillotine for crimes they didn't commit," The guard could only say as Kyra nodded. The clouds started to darken as they heard lightning strike the ground.

"Please join me madam, His excellency won't be please to learn that our North Pacific diplomats get sick in this weather," Kyra could only give a gracious smile and nodded.

_____________________

The weather gets worse as Presidential Guards litter every corner of the room. The room accommodates all eighty members of the Congress as well as the twelve members of the Supreme Council.

Mumbles of why a meeting was called halted as Ken Drick raised his hand.

"I have called you all here today because I have received news today that Generals Rivera and Brooker were able to capture the city of Vichisburg," Ken Drick said as the usually loud room continued to be quiet.

"We must move the Revolutionary Congress and Supreme Council to somewhere much safer," He continued as mumbling among the members of Congress started.

"I ask our revolutionary congress if our base of operations shall be moved to Vichisburg. The voting shall commence now," Ken Drick said as a ballot box was placed in front of him.

Members of Congress started to vote, writing their vote on a paper and placing it in the ballot box.

After all the members voted, Ken Drick joined in the counting of votes. After a few minutes of counting the votes, the results are in.

"It is final, by the power vested onto me by the Revolutionary Congress, Supreme Council, and the Articles of Confederation, I declare Vichisburg as the new capital of the Revolution," Ken Drick said as everyone cheered.

"We will move tomorrow, at five in the morning... I recommend to all to start packing and bring everything with you," Ken Drick said as Congress cheered in agreement.

"I therefore, adjourn this session of Congress," Ken Drick said as he slammed his mallet on the table signifying the end of the session.

_______________

"Cody, matagal na mula noong huli mong pagbisita," Fr. Reynaldo Burgos said while he entered the Church.

"Yun nga Padre, madami na po yun nangyari mula sa huli natin pagkausap," he said while the priest nodded before looking back at the Altar.

"Hirap isipin na ilang taon na dumaan, nasa Pilipinas pa tayo kasama yun mga pamilya natin," Fr. Burgos continued, looking deep in thought while Cody looked at him.

"Totoo Padre, walang sandali na hindi ko nananabik sila," Cody said while the priest looked back at him. An empathetic smile on his face before placing a hand on his shoulder to comfort him.

"Huwag mo na alalahanin yun nakaraan, nandito na tayo Cody... Isipin natin kung bakit nilagay tayo ng Diyos dito kaysa dyan," Fr. Burgos continued while Cody nodded.

"Si Padre, nahihirapan lang talaga ako dahil Bumabalik ako sa sandaling iyon, kung saan iniwan ko sila sa aking kapatid na babae, naniniwalang ako'y bibili ng mga gamit, ngunit sa katotohanan ay iniwan ko sila," Cody said while his eyes shamefully looked towards the Altar while Fr. Burgos listened.

"Nasa nakaraan na yun. Kahit yun ang nangyari kailangan mo din tangapin na yun ang ginawa mo. Totoo, may iba kang pwede ginawa noong oras na yun pero wala na... Manalangin ka nalang sa Panginoon at sa ang mga Santo para gabayin ka sa iyong mga alinlangan," the priest continued while Cody looked back at him before his eyes gazed back t  the statue of Mother Mary.

He could only pray for a brighter future.

_________________

He just came from Mass and it's always a delight to hear it in his native language—many of his worries about the past are now at the forefront of his mind. The rumors about Kyra bothered him because he knew that if the council didn't do anything to address them. They'll eventually lead to more problems.

"Are you Monsieur Rivera," a Frenchman in a Trenchcoat brought him out of his thoughts.

"Can I help you sir?" Cody asked while the man nodded.

"Ah, where are my manners... I am Nicolas Alexandre, I was hired by Madam Kyra to give your men an exclusive European military training," the Frenchman said as his eyes widened in surprise and gratitude.

"Thank you, Mr. Alexandre... My men and I really appreciate the sacrifice you did to come here," he shook the Frenchman's hand with such rigor.

"It is not a problem monsieur... I am just honored to fight for freedom," the Frenchman said ending the handshake before clenching his fist in fiery passion.

TO BE CONTINUED