Chapter 30: An End of an Era

Cody and Mey crossed through Heltic River, to meet up with Dwayne Newhiskey and his second in command.

____________

Both Cody and Mey waited for Dwayne to arrive. It brought both of them back to the revolutionary war, many casualties have occurred due to the men between each battalion challenging each other to a duel.

Cody's now Mey's 212th battalion was not exempted from their men dueling each other.

Yet Cody never thought that he would be in a duel ever in his life. He tried his best to avoid any duels or any fights, yet there is one thing he won't stand for is that anyone will threaten to kill his family.

He watched the lake as the moon was still overhead. In the lake, like in the land of dreams, memories float on top of the water. This moment helps Cody be filled with serenity.

Time continued to tick as he took out his revolver. Remembering what his father said a long time ago.

"Cody, build your own legacy, son. Don't ride along someone else's dreams, ride your own dreams and allow yourself to hope for a better future," He could only sigh as he methodically fiddled with the trigger. All that time he has spent building a better future for his children.

He realized that he wasn't exactly the greatest father and husband. He left his family so that he could work on building the republic, a free country where all men are created equal.

He just wished that he could turn back the clock and give his family the time and love that they deserve. Mey sat next to him as he sensed the man in distress.

"Mey, I wasn't the greatest father, wasn't I?" Cody said as Mey listened.

"I left my family so that I could build this republic for them to enjoy, to be free from the bonds the British have placed on all of us," Cody said as looked down at his revolver.

"I should have been there for them," Cody said as he continued to look down in shame.

"You sacrificed your time with them so that everyone could be free," Mey said as Cody looked up to him.

"You're the man who showed his troops hope and compassion, You proved to them that there was something else worth fighting for," Mey said as Cody looked to the side as he remembered the battle of fort Herodia.

"You're the man who defied all odds and help "THE" Emperor's hand to switch sides," Mey continued.

"I've seen you with your kids, Cody. I can tell you that you have proven to be a great father. In my eyes, you were doing the opposite, I saw you as the man who tried his best to spend more time with his family than build the republic," Mey said firmly as he patted the man on the back.

Both men looked towards the lake as Cody nodded trying to come to terms with everything before the duel.

"Rivera!" Any peace that the lake had was drained after the voice of a familiar opponent.

"One last time, Mey. One last time," Cody said with a sad smile as both of them stood up. Awaiting from the other side of the lake, Dwayne and his second were waiting for them.

Cody looked at Mey and nodded. Mey sighed as he went to the middle of the clearing while Dwayne's second did the same.

Mey recognized the man, it was Commander Stephen Braddock of the 335th company of the Continental Army. He could only sigh as he shook hands with the man.

"Commodore Bracodo, what a pleasant surprise," The commander said as they finish shaking hands.

"Let's stop with formalities, Mr. Braddock," Mey said with a firm expression.