Intermission: Revolutionary Papers

~Kalayaan, The Hope of Freedom~

President Ken Drick Winchester signs Act to Establish the Woman's Chapter of the Secret Society.

________

That was the headline Mey read from the Revolutionary Newspaper while taking a break from working on the fields.

It wasn't really too long ago when he started reading the Kalayaan, especially with pamphlets being produced and circulated around the colony with the British authority trying their best to stop it.

Mey had to admit that while the British authorities are successful in controlling the circulation of pamphlets and newspapers around the capital and provinces around it. The mid and other-rim provinces weren't suppressed as much.

There were still British regulars who try their best to take control of the Lawrencian wilderness yet revolutionary sentiment is at an all-time high with local militias taking control of those patrols allowing citizens to continue their own businesses.

He's thoughts was disturbed by his father shouting for him to come home. He quickly grabs the pamphlet and hides it in his straw hat.

"MEY! Get your damn arse over here!" his father shouted while Mey entered the homestead.

"Yes, Pa, what is it?" Mey asked, wondering why his father is in a foul mood.

"Don't "Yes Pa"! Why do you have this?!" Poper asked angrily while shaking 'the Kalayaan' in his hand.

"I understand you feel stuck here but you have to understand it's too damn dangerous to continue with this line of thinking," Poper continued, his anger turning into disappointment, knowing his son is too much like him.

"Please Pa, let me go out and join the Revolution. Fight against the oppression of the British and finally get the freedom we all deserve," Mey said while his father looked at the paper then at him again.

"I promise pa, I'll keep myself safe," Mey continued while his father pinched his nose in frustration. He knows his son is right yet all those nights where he tried to keep his affiliation with the Secret Society a secret would be thrown down the drain

"Fine, I'll allow you to join but you need to talk to your Uncle first," Poper said while Mey nodded.

"I promise, I'll come back for you and mum," Mey said as he hugged his father and went to his room, grabbing the few belongings he knew he had.

"Wait before you leave, take my gun, stay safe. Always remember we love you son," Poper said giving his gun to Mey while patting him on the back. Showing a small smile.

Mey smiled taking the gun and hugged his father before leaving the homestead, heading to town.

__________________

"Hey there Mey, what can I do for you?" His uncle asked while he entered the shop.

"Hey there uncle, long time since I saw you," Mey said with a smile, Joshua looked at his appearance from the bag that he was carrying on his back.

"Why are you here kid?" Joshua said knowing Mey well.

"I would like to join the Society, Uncle," Mey whispered to him while he nodded in confirmation.

"Mey, you know its too dangerous!" Joshua whispered to him in a stern tone. He knows his nephew really well, similar to his brother. The same brother who he had to drag out of trouble after the Cheapsake Mutiny.

Mey was about to argue before he saw his uncle suddenly stiffen. Curious about his uncle's behavior, he turned to look behind him. He was surprised to see it was one of the members of the Society.

Cody Rivera

From the newspapers, it was said that after the propaganda movement failed he immediately took the reigns and guided it to the preparation of revolution.

"Commander Bracodo, what is the meaning of this?" Cody asked in a kind yet stern tone.

"Sir, my nephew is asking to join the Secret Society," Joshua answered while Cody raised an eyebrow at him, before turning to look at Mey.

Mey could only look down at his shoes, he is excited to be here while Cody is on his patrol but he could feel his anxiety getting the best of him while Cody looks back at Joshua.

"So why not let him join?" Cody questioned waiting for a response from Joshua. He looks back to his uncle.

"Sir, I am concerned about his safety," Cody didn't rebuke and thought about it for a moment. 

"Don't worry Commander Bracodo, he is now under my care."

Mey looked up at Joshua with hope. Joshua could only sigh knowing that the answer to Mey joining came from one of the founders.

"Mey Bracodo, follow me," Joshua said as Mey and Cody followed behind him. They entered a dark room. Joshua turned to look at Mey. 

"Kneel," Joshua said as Mey did what he was told. Joshua took out a paper and started reading it. 

"Mey Bracodo, do you promise to stay loyal to the Society and be prepared for the day, revolution will be declared?" Joshua asked as Mey continued to kneel.

"I  will," 

"One of the called traitors is standing behind you, what will you do to him?" Joshua asked as Cody stood by the side. 

"I will aid him in declaring revolution," Cody nodded to Joshua.

"By the power vested to me by Cody Rivera, you are now a member of the Society, you may rise," Joshua said as Mey rose up.  Cody nodded as Joshua went to Mey's side and whispered in his ear. 

"Stay safe, my nephew, remember the homestead is always open for you to come back," Joshua said as he turned to Cody.

"Sir you promise to keep my nephew safe," Joshua asked as Cody nodded and gave a letter to him.

"Meet up at Jacoba. All members are called for an emergency meeting. Bring your Identification papers, a revolution is coming."

Joshua nodded and looked at Mey and gave him a small smile.

"Be safe and always remember that your family loves you,"

As they said their goodbyes. Mey joined Cody to go to Jacoba.

From that day forward, he never knew that he would take part in the most historical events of this country.

INTERMISSION END