Chapter 28: Children

_____December 30th, 1933_____

He sat on his recliner waiting anxiously for news about his wife while his cousin supported him. The bitter cold of the Lawrencian winter barely competes with the coldness he feels in his stomach.

The midwife entered the guestroom nearly an hour ago with Maria and Hannah; he won't deny it's exciting, nerve-wracking, and tiring.

He couldn't focus on his book settling to watch his nephew play by the fireplace.

Next to him, Carlos finished reading his book. He watched his son for a moment before looking at his cousin.

Knowing his nervousness he stood up and went up to him.

"Are you okay Cody?" Carlos asks him while he sits next to him. He gave his cousin a deadpan look, he appreciated that his cousin was asking if he was okay or not but he was not worried about that. He is more concerned for his wife and children.

"Of course... I'm not worried about myself Carlos. I'm more worried for my wife and children," he said while he studied him, sweat on his face and palms while his expression carried a different story.

He gave him a severe look before Cody sighed and relented.

"Okay... I'm not okay because I fear that I'll lose my wife and children... or if they survive, I won't be a great father like Pa was," he said while Carlos patted him on the back.

"I felt the same way... Tiyo was a great man, he fought in the Revolution with Señor Bonifacio for Christ's sake... while still being there," he said while Cody nodded. His Uncle was a great person and Cody seems to be following in his footsteps.

The man fought in two revolutions, leading one of them himself, drafted the Constitution, and led the Assembly into voting in favor of it. Despite Dr. Rizal being a source of inspiration for the revolutionaries, he was the heart the revolution needed. The man who reminded the soldiers that the men they were fighting against were the same as them.

"I wonder what would have happened if we didn't leave the Philippines," Carlos looked at his cousin.

"Then this islands would have been stucked with an oppressive empire governing them. James and Kyra would have been stuck doing the same thing they were doing years ago. If it wasn't for Dr. Rizal and your drive to make a terrible situation better, everything would have been the same way it was before the revolution," Carlos answered while he looked and gave his cousin a soft smile.

"I guess you're right but if I'm going to be honest I feel like if the circumstances were different the revolution could have failed," he said while Carlos patted him on the back.

"We will never know," Carlos said as Maria entered the room.

"Tiyo Cody, Tiya Jazmin, gave birth to twins!" she said in excitement while Cody could only breathe a sigh of relief. He and Carlos stood up and proceeded to the next room.

_________________

The cries of children blessed their ears as they entered the room.

Jazmine was on the bed a pained smile on her face as her husband gave her a soft smile in return.

She was holding their children as he went by her side.

"What's their names love?" She asked while he took their son into his arms. His cries seem to calm down as he holds onto him.

"Pedro Luis," he said while she held onto their daughter.

"Charlotte Theodora," She said while he smiled and kissed her.

"I never imagined that I would be here with a wife and children, especially after what happened back home," he thought while Carlos silently excused himself and his wife to wait for his cousin in the other room.

"They're beautiful aren't they, love?" She asked while he nodded.

"I never thought I would have children," he said while taking her hand. She smiled at the pain she felt unable to compete with her happiness.

His memories of holding his niece in his arms when she was firstborn came back to mind while he held on to his son.

"Cody, if it wasn't for that faithful day in that prison, we would have never truly known each other," she said while she placed her hand on his face and guided it to look at her eyes.

He smiled before they gave their children to the midwife.

"Thank you miss, I'll be going out so you could continue with what you need to do," he said while the midwife smiled and thanked him for his consideration.

______________

He saw Carlos and his wife on the couch waiting for him, his nephew sleeping soundly next to his mother while Maria was still wide awake. A smile on her face as he entered the room.

"Thank you for being here for us, we greatly appreciate it," he said while Carlos nodded and patted him on the back.

"Why don't you and the kids spend the new year here... I mean we're not really expecting anyone," Cody said while Carlos and his wife smiled.

"We will greatly appreciate it," Carlos said still smiling while his wife and children smiled joyfully.

TO BE CONTINUED