Chapter 4: Battle of Herodia

Cody now a general of the Revolution has decided to try to attack the British reinforcements at Herodia.

The battle of Cheverton and St. Ezekiel was the shot that started the revolution. After hearing that the British Home Army from Fort Herodia might threaten the battle at Cheverton and St. Ezekiel, he cannot risk Ken Drick and Kyra getting captured and ending all hope of freedom.

He couldn't allow defeat.

"Stay down, and keep your silence," Cody whispered to his men as he watched a gunpowder supply caravan on its way to the fort.

Cody looked toward Mey and whispered to Mey some orders.

"Mey when this battle is over, I want you to replace the British flag with our flag. To show the local militia's that the Revolution has begun,"

Mey nodded, and Cody gave him the flag and a pistol. Mey placed it onto his utility belt and continued. Revolutionaries started to sneak their way toward the fort. Their hats were covered with leaves as they snuck through the defenses.

"I saw something!" A British troop said as militiamen leaned against the wall of the fort and started to climb up each other's shoulders. All of them kept quiet with bated breath.

"When that gunpowder carvan arrives, we will all march to St. Ezekiel and Cheverton to deal with the revolutionaries and put down their pathetic revolution," Commander Groyal commanded as they heard the soldiers groan.

"Halt! Stop there!" A British marksman shouted as revolutionaries quickly climbed on top of each other and dragged him down. Immediately drawing attention to them.

Revolutionaries started shouting a battle cry as they shot their guns, attacking the British regulars. He and Mey joined them in the fighting as he pushed one of the soldiers to the side and took the torch he was holding and threw it to the gunpowder caravan. It landed in the cart, the gunpowder catching fire while Cody took out his pistol and fired it. Destroying the entrance to allow his militiamen to storm into the fort.

_________________________

Revolutionaries were climbing up the walls of the fort as they shouted a battle cry.

"Fire the artillery!" He commanded while one of his field marshalls looked at him in shock and disbelief.

"But Sir!" The Field Marshall said knowing that the order would cause more casualties for them than their enemy.

"Do I have to repeat my orders marshall!?" More of his troops surrounded the gate of the fort as revolutionaries passed through the thick smoke with their muskets and blades.

He got down from the wall, drew out his blade, and joined in the fighting. Militiamen he recognized from the countryside flooded the gates while he saw their commander enter the fort. He noticed that Revolutionary marksmen were heading to higher areas as they aimed for the gunpowder cache.

"Defend the fort at all cost!" He commanded while more troops exited the barracks.

_______________________

As more of his troops continued storming into the fort. Cody joined them in the attack on the fort.

The fighting continued as bodies from both sides started to pile among one another while blood poured into the river.

He felt a twinge of fear as he went face to face with the commander. Militiamen and Redcoats fought each other while Groyal effortlessly disarmed and killed one of his militiamen.

"Come here you bloody revolutionary!" Groyal shouted with a taunting smirk as Cody struck with his blade.

Groyal blocked and countered, punching Cody in the shoulder. With a redcoat running at him, he quickly disarmed the soldier and used him as a human shield while Groyal took out his pistol, shooting at Cody.

He shot his pistol multiple times before being pushed inside one of the fort's rooms. He then stored his pistol and hit Cody on the stomach with his blade, yet Cody dodged it barely enough to only get his polo ripped.

_________________

The fire started to intensify as troops from both sides quickly dropped their fight and started to act as firemen to control the flames.

Unaware of the truce and ignoring the fire, they continued fighting until Cody struck him in the shoulder, making him drop his blade. Taking advantage, he pushed Groyal to the ground with his legs and aimed his blade at the defeated commander's chest.

"So what are you going to do? Chop our heads off like the French did during their revolution? Spill more blood like the Filipinos and their Spanish counterparts at the Philippines?"

He finally gained the courage to speak as he glared at the commander.

"No, we won't follow their example and we certainly won't follow yours!"

"For two hundred years, you tortured, abused, taxed, arrested, and executed us for petty reasons and tonight we'll show the world that it turned upside down,"

Soldiers entered the room aiming their stolen muskets at Groyal.

"Arrest this man! Make sure he won't see the light of day until the revolution has ended," he commanded his men as they nodded and took the man by his arms, dragging him out of the room.

He sighed in relief as he went out of the room, being greeted by the sun rising. He looked around to see Mey and a few men changing the flags of the fort.

"Sir," he turned to see a messenger.

"Yes?" He asked as the messenger nodded.

"Sir, the defense of Cheverton and St. Ezekiel have been successful. The regulars are pushing themselves back to the capital," The messenger said as Cody nodded. He patted the man on the back and smiled at him.

"Thank you major," he said as the messenger nodded, leaving to help the other soldiers check for supplies.

Mey was about to throw the British flag into the fire when he stopped him.

"They might be our enemy, but we must show them respect... Never stow down to their level. Here's some thread and a needle... ask the men if they want to join in placing our logo on their flag," Cody said with a joking smile as the men around him smiled and cheered.

Mey smiled back as he nodded to the idea. He quickly took the thread and needle, allowing himself and the others a much-deserved break from the fighting.

As Mey leaves, Cody could only to the sunrise, as his thoughts lingered on the future.

"We might have won these battles but there are more battles to come... anyways, the regulars should've been expecting that a revolution is coming,"

TO BE CONTINUED