Chapter 49

A/N: I feel it's important to note that I've never lost a loved one or someone close to me, so personally, I have never experienced true grief nor have I attended a funeral of a loved one, so I wrote this chapter very blindly because none of the experiences written, I can relate to. I just wanted to state that in case my writing in this chapter comes off as very ignorant, not researched or tone deaf.

Having very little family members between the two of them to begin with, FP and Alice had never experienced the turbulent difficulties of a funeral, let alone planning one.

Having to place himself in Forsythe's shoes, FP had to take into consideration the casket, the flowers, what Forsythe would be buried in, but none of that compared to writing out the eulogy, which he naturally found to be the most difficult part of the process.

He stood by his mirror with the folded piece of paper in his hand, glaring at his unbuttoned suit and loose tie before darting his gaze down at the writing and scribbling on the page that he had struggled to put down. He wasn't exaggerating when he said he couldn't string two sentences together, writing just wasn't his forte, and while he would usually ask for Alice's help, he didn't want her to perceive him as incompetent or unable to handle this. He wanted to prove to her that this was something he could do on his own.

"You get that suit on yet?" Alice questions softly after knocking on the bedroom door.

He turned to see her sympathetic face as she held Charlie on her hip. The tot was happily drinking away from his sippy cup.

His shaking nerves instantly calmed at the sight of her. She had been his rock and so unbelievably supportive these past few weeks.

"Just about." He sighs before reaching for his tie. "Might need a little help with this though." He gestured to the neck wear before sizing it up and wrapping it around.

She chuckled softly upon seeing him struggle, before placing Charlie comfortably on the bed and wandering over to him, standing in front of his chest and taking both sides of the tie and gladly attempting to fix it for him.

"Thanks baby." He thanked, resting his soft calloused hands on her black lace covered shoulder, before sliding it down to her waist. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Her lips slowly curl into a sympathetic grin, locking her eyes with his as she finishes up. "Don't worry about it. Forsythe had the same problem." She recalls, reminiscing over his inability to tie correctly, something FP had clearly inherited.

She finishes up, lightly patting his chest before noticing the sheet of paper in his hands.

"This the eulogy?" She asks curiously, reaching for it before FP quickly moves it from her reach in a mild panic, taking her by surprise.

"It's not finished yet." He says sternly, his expression going from soft to dull.

He wasn't usually the secretive type, and he had a tell for when he was feeling to sure about something or trying to hide something from her, something Alice had picked up on from a long time ago.

Her brows bumped together into a scowl as her mouth fell slightly open. "Babe? What's the matter?"

"Nothing." He lies boldly, adding a brief chuckle before noticing Alice's unimpressed expression. She wasn't buying it one bit.

He sighs, reluctantly giving in. "It's the eulogy. It's useless, no matter how many times, I sit down, I just can't get it right, I can't get the words out."

"FP-" She shifts her purse off of her shoulder and rests it onto the ground before sitting by FP, running her smooth hands over his tense and burly white covered shoulders, his muscles practically ripping through. "Eulogies don't have to be perfect. Is this what you've been stressed about?"