Chapter 20

I looked out the window of the compound staring at the moon. I sighed. We sent Hope to be hidden and safe with Rebekah while the rest of us ensure that New Orleans is safe for her to return. I walked away to my room and felt an emptiness in my heart. Ever since I failed to protect Hayley from dying. I felt a sense of loss inside. I sighed and left. I walked out the room and heard Camille. I stood at the banister watching her. "Klaus? Klaus. You here? We need to talk." She said searching for my for brother. I sped to a different spot silently and stood behind her in the shadows.

     I disappeared and Camille turned around

     I disappeared and Camille turned around. "Klaus we need to talk." She said. I sped to the second floor. I appeared in front of her as she turned around. She turned around and jumped when she saw me. "Stiles! Where did you come from?" Camille asked. "That's hardly the question you should be asking since you're the one who is trespassing." I said. "I get you guys are grieving. The city is overrun by wolves. I have Guerrera wolves following me like it's a police state. We could really use your help." Camille said. "I need you to leave." I said moving aside. "Stiles. Please." Camille begged. "I'm sorry. If I couldn't help save Hayley. What chance do I have saving the entire city from a bunch of bloody werewolves?" I said. Camille left with that. I sighed and walked out the compound passed Elijah and Klaus. "I'm going for a walk in the woods." I said running a hand through my hair. 

    I stood in the woods trying my best to get rid of the feeling of overwhelming failure. I couldn't get over the fact that I practically killed Hayley. If I had been faster, she wouldn't be the way she is now. A hybrid. I squatted down in the swamp looking at the water. I grabbed a stone and threw it across the calm still water. The stone skipped across multiple times due to my super-strength. I stood up and sighed. The memory of seeing Hayley's dead body haunted me in my sleep. The witches snapping my neck. The Harvest girls almost killing Hope. I wiped my face with the palm of my hand. I turned around to see Hayley. I froze. "Hayley!" I stated surprised. "Stiles. What are you doing here?" She asked walking forward a few steps. "Trying to get the feeling of something bad is about to happen to go away. Nothing is working. I'm haunted at night with my failure. Possible outcomes of the fight if Marcel hadn't shown up. If I had actually done something to save you from the witches, you wouldn't be the monster you never wanted to be." I said rambling. Hayley walked to me and grabbed my face. "You did the best you could, Stiles." Hayley said making me look at her. "I could've done better." I stated. "I'm alive aren't I?" She said. "You don't even like what you've become, Hayley. You've become what I've lived my entire life as." I said. "You're not a monster, Stiles." She said. "Have you met me?" I asked quirking an eyebrow with a slight smirk. Hayley laughed. I chuckled. "I'm sorry." I said. "Don't apologize, Stiles. You can make it up to me by making the city safe for her." Hayley said. I nodded. I gave her a hug. "I'll bring her back. I promise." I whispered. I looked at her and sped away back to the Quarter.