42

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

Sadie sat with her head low as Thomas marched out of his office not half an hour after Lizzie had interrupted him and May, a smirk sitting on her lips. She could hear Flossie giggling at her desk, sending her a pointed look; shushing her immediately. The man strode right up to Lizzie's desk, looking down at her with a bewildered look.

'What the fuck was that about, Lizzie, eh?' He hissed.

'Have a guess,' The woman drawled.

'You know what, I can't even guess any more... I'll be back at four.'

She looked after him as he walked away, smirking at her best friend who looked livid.

'Why is she still here?' She called after them.

'Something to do with the coalminers, apparently,' May's voice sounded as she left the room.

The girl chuckled softly, shaking her head as she pulled her coat on.

'Where're you going?' Lizzie asked her.

'I'm to look after May,' She replied.

'Send James or Will, you're staying here.'

'Lizzie.'

'No. Floss, call Will and tell him May's in town.'

'Alright,' The younger girl nodded.

'What're we going to do that's so important? I have to get down to the betting den, it's race day,' Sadie cocked a brow at her.

She watched as Lizzie pulled open a drawer in her desk and grabbed a bottle of whiskey, slamming it down on the desk with a victorious smirk.

'I'm pregnant, can't drink that stuff any more,' She waved her away.

'Oh, fuck,' The woman groaned; 'Floss-'

'Don't you dare.'

'Fine.'

Sadie sighed, sitting back down before she leant back into the seat; her hand laying lightly on her stomach.

'Floss, could you run down to the betting den and let Pol know I won't be coming in, please,' She asked her sister.

'Yes, Sayd,' Flossie nodded as she stood.

'Then you can head home for the day, I doubt there's much more work to do.'

'Might head down to the Garrison again.'

'No whiskey.'

'Yes, Sadie.'

She let Flossie leave before she looked over to Lizzie, watching as the woman swapped between her cigarette and the bottle of whiskey in her hand. She tried to work, listening to her whine on about May and Thomas; hardly listening.