34

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

Sadie sat in the lounge room wrapped presents, Christmas merely two days away. She hummed quietly to herself, Daniel playing on the floor beside her. She smiled softly at him as he spoke to her in his way, most of the words incoherent, but she got the gist. She continued to hum to herself, looking toward the door as the mail hit the floor. She didn't make any move to grab it, continuing to hum to herself as she worked; wrapping the final present.

'How bout we go see the horses after I finish? How does that sound, Danny?' She asked.

The little boy continued to play with his toys, not once giving his mother an ounce of his attention.

'Yes, I think that's a good idea, Mum,' She replied for him as she lifted him into her arms; 'Yes? I'm glad you think so.'

She chuckled to herself as she stood, placing her son on her hip as she walked across the room. She gathered the mail and placed it out of the way, not thinking to go through it as she pulled open the front door. Sadie pointed toward the paddock Jimmy and Michael's bay mare, Lucky, were grazing, talking to Daniel quietly as she approached the gate.

'Good morning, Mrs Gray,' Their stable hand, Joe, greeted as he came out of the barn with a wheelbarrow full of horse poo.

'Morning, Joe,' She greeted; 'How're the horses this morning?'

'Good. Jimmy misses the travelling. I can tell.'

'He's not the only one.'

'You should go.'

'One day, Joe. One day.'

The man nodded, continuing on his way. Joe was a harder worker, much like Curly in personality which was part of the reason why she hired him. She whistled to the horses, Jimmy's head shooting up before he let out a whinny. Daniel let out a cheerful squeal when the black stallion bit Lucky on the bum before he shot off toward them, just missing the mare's reaction as she bared her teeth at him.

'You're a silly boy,' Sadie laughed as she patted the horse's nose.

Her son laughed as he plonked his nose in his lap, his hot breaths ruffling his clothes. She smiled at him, patting Lucky's nose as she wandered up to the fence slowly; sticking her head over it. She looked over her shoulder when heard the phone ring from inside, sighing.

'I'll get it, Mrs Gray,' Joe called as he ran toward the house.

She chuckled softly, 'Thank you, Joe.'

Sadie turned her attention back to the horse's, bouncing Daniel on her hip as she spoke to him. Jimmy nodded his head, earning a loud round of laughter from the boy.

'Mrs Gray, it's your brother, Will. He says it's urgent,' Joe called as he strode toward her quickly.

'Do you mind taking Danny for me?' She asked as she turned to him.