41

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

Sadie sat at Thomas' desk as she tapped her finger against her leg impatiently, waiting for the man to finish his work. She subconsciously rubbed her stomach as she looked out the window, the sun rays highlighting her features in them. She was snapped out of her gaze when the door opened behind her, causing the girl to stand and make her away around the other side of the desk to stand beside Thomas.

'Good morning, Mrs Ross,' He greeted as the woman strode toward them; 'Have a seat.'

'Thank you for seeing me, Mr Shelby,' Mrs Ross replied; 'I know how busy you are.'

'How can I help you?'

'Well, you see, tomorrow would have been my son's twenty first birthday... Had he lived. And I'm having a bit of a thing- just sandwiches and beer and looking at old photos. And, as a gesture... I thought I would invite your brother. Arthur.'

'A gesture of what, Mrs Ross?'

'Not exactly forgiveness. But something like that. And also it's a way of saying thank you to the Shelby family for helping me and my children get by since the death of my Edward.'

'That's very kind of you.'

'That's very kind,' Sadie mumbled.

'I will let Arthur know.'

'It'll be at my house at midday. He should come at midday.'

'Your house, midday tomorrow, all right. One of us will be there.'

'It ought to be Arthur.'

Thomas stared at her for a moment, his face completely stoic. The Loveridge girl stood behind him with the same face, her mind racing with the million possibilities as to why the woman only wanted Arthur.

'Goodbye, Mrs Ross,' The man finally

She stood quickly and left, leaving the pair to watch after her.

'She's up to something, Tom,' Sadie stated the second the door shut.

'That's why I need you round up the men and to be armed and waiting at Charlie's yard at eleven tomorrow,' He replied.

'Alright. And me?'

'You'll be joining us.'

>>>>>>

Everyone had gathered at Charlie's yard on time, standing around in a group surrounding the table that had been placed out; a map of the town laid out upon it.

'All right, at midday today, Arthur will be here,' Thomas pointed to the apartment; 'Forty seven Artillery Square. Like a goat tied up for the fucking tiger, eh, Arthur?'