21

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

Thomas didn't speak to anyone for days after Grace's funeral, he was hardly around anymore. He spent his nights out in the paddock where'd they'd cremated Grace, only coming home in the morning. Will had stayed at the house, helping looked at Charles with Ada, whilst everyone else took care of the business at home. They were all incredibly surprised when Thomas had called them all to the house, but they didn't know why.

'He's back,' Ada informed them as she let the curtain fall back into it's place.

John and Arthur were yet to arrive with James, it was only Sadie, Michael, Will and Polly who stood in the living room.

'Was he out there all night?' Michael asked.

'Every night since the funeral,' Ada sighed; 'He comes back in the morning to see Charles and feed the horses. And when it gets dark, he goes off again.'

'He used to sleep out when he was a kid,' Polly stated; 'Curly'd find him in the pasture.'

'How's the baby?' Sadie asked.

'He asks for his mum at night,' Will sighed.

'Tommy made a list,' Ada stated as she walked to the table behind Will; 'He wants to see you two first.'

She motioned to Michael and Polly, the woman moving to look over her shoulder.

'What about John and Arthur?' She asked.

But as Ada went to reply, the front door opened and Thomas walked in. They remained silent, watching as he strode past them without a word and into the drawing room. Polly sighed and motioned for Michael to follow her, which he did so after placing a kiss to his girlfriend's lips.

'What's he like?' Sadie asked Will.

'Like he was after the war,' He replied.

'The old, cold Tommy?'

'The old, cold Tommy.'

'I'll talk some sense into him.'

'He's grieving, Sayd.'

'I'm grieving, but you don't see me treating people like shit.'

Will shook his head, moving to stand by the window; looking through the curtains. The car pulled up and the missing trio got out, marching toward the house. Ada got the door, letting them in. Arthur and John had just sat down when Michael and Polly left the drawing room, approaching them with blank looks.

'Right, let's go,' Arthur stated as he stood.

'Uh, we've already seen him,' Polly told them as she shared a glance with her son.

The brothers all stopped as they looked at her, shock on their faces. But as Michael lowered his head and Polly couldn't find the words to explain, they turned to look at their sister.