38

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

Sadie walked through the halls of the hospital with Daniel on her hip, James by her side. The warehouse had been empty since the previous night, the rest of the boys down with Thomas to begin reemploying; leaving her older brother to be on duty to watch her. She pushed open the door to her husband's room, smiling when she found him sitting at the table in the middle of the room, surrounded by the work he begged to be allowed to catch up on.

'Da,' Daniel cooed as he pointed at his father.

Michael looked up at the sound of his son's voice, grinning toward the trio. Sadie walked over and passed Daniel down to him, pecking his lips as she leant down and wrapped her arms around the front of his shoulders.

'Good morning, beautiful,' He greeted.

'Oh, beautiful, am I now? That's a new one,' She chuckled.

'You've always been beautiful. You're just more so now because I'm not with you all the time.'

'So, you're saying I'm only beautiful when you don't see me? What am I when you do?'

'For fuck's sake,' James groaned with a smirk; 'This isn't gonna go anywhere fast. So give it up.'

The couple laughed, sharing another kiss before the girl moved to sit in the chair beside him; James walking over to shake his hand in greeting. She smiled over at Daniel as he sat in his father's lap, patting the paper on the table and moving it around. She glanced at the door as it opened, a nurse stepping in and to the side.

'Mr Gray?' She stated.

'Yeah, send him in,' Michael muttered without looking toward her.

'It's your mother.'

'Oh, fuck.'

She didn't move to look toward the door as a smirk slipped onto her lips, James messing up her hair as he came to stand beside her. She looked toward Michael when he didn't greet his mother, eyes snapping to the Mrs Johnson as she stood nervously inside the room with a brown paper bag in hand. She looked up at James, his face still and stoic; his eyes stuck on the woman.

'I read about it in the paper,' Mrs Johnson gushed; 'I have a right. I'm your mum, as well.'

Sadie reached over to grip her husband's hand as he looked down nervously, in shock of seeing the woman again. Her eyes followed the girl's hand, letting out a soft huff at the gesture.

'You want me to go away?' She asked.

'Yes,' Michael muttered.

'I'll just leave these... They're from our orchard.'

The woman placed an apple on the table, James taking a step away from it to lean back against the window sill; lowering his gaze from the woman.

'You used to love these. The pair of you,' She continued.