30

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

The flash from the camera blinded her eyes as she stood surrounded by her family out the front of the Grace Shelby Institute for Orphaned Children, her hand firmly clamped in Michael's. She smiled up at him as they turned to head inside with everyone for the official opening ceremony, rows of children in ratty clothes already sitting inside. Her eyes moved over each of them, their hopeful faces pushing through the grime and dirt on their skin. She smiled at each of them, earning some waves in return but mostly grins of their own.

Michael's hand tightened around her own as they passed Father Hughes, her other hand quickly coming to lay on top of their already entangled ones. She brought his attention to her, her eyes telling him to hold on as they made their way to their seats. They sat furthest along in the row, far away from the creep priest. The girl leant up and placed her lips just before her husband's ear, his head turning slightly toward her.

'You're ok,' She whispered; 'He's not going to touch you, I won't let him.'

He nodded before she placed a soft kiss to his cheek, kissing his lips as he turned his head to look at her. Michael smiled softly down at her, eyes moving over her smooth lips. She let out a breath of amusement, smiling at him before they turned their attention to Polly as she addressed the stage.

'Welcome to the opening of the Grace Shelby Institute for non-insured children of the poor,' She smiled proudly; 'I would very much like you to join me in thanking the man that made the founding of this establishment actually possible. Ladies and gentlemen, Mr Thomas Shelby.'

Sadie clapped her hands and let out a holler, grinning as the man stood with Charles in his arms. The boys began to call out to him, asking for a speech, as everyone else in the crowd stood to clap the man that made it possible. She moved to grab Charles when he began to cry, taking the child into her arms before moving to stand back beside Michael; cooing to the little boy. They all sat back down once Thomas stood behind the podium, looking over all of them.

'Say it, Tom!' Arthur called.

'I didn't come here today to make a speech, but I will say this, these children are now safe,' Thomas started; 'In our care, they will be safe because we are from the same cold streets as they are. And, in our care, they won't be shipped away to the colonies, or separated from kin, or made to work for men in their various ways. They will grow up here, at home, loved. In Birmingham. Because this is our city.'

'By order of the Peaky Blinders!'

She laughed as she began to clap once more, pushing herself up to stand with the Shelby's and the Loveridge's. And the moment she sat back down, Polly asked them to stand so they could sing a hymn. She sung quietly to Charles, smiling softly down at him as she bouncing him on her hip. Michael watched on with an adoring smile, admiring how perfect she was for motherhood.