37

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

It was cold in the Loveridge household as Sadie walked through it slowly, her fingers running over the once incredibly familiar house. Her eyes moved over everything as she told Daniel stories about the place, speaking to him softly. She moved to her room, which looked as though it'd never been touched; everything still where it once was.

She strode over to her bed post where her bakerboy cap lay, brushing off the dust with her leg before she placed it over her son's head. It fell over his face, causing her to chuckle as he tried to pull it up; eventually peeking at her from under it. She smiled as she took it from him, placing him down on the floor to explore as she placed the cap on her head. Her reflection sent a wave of nostalgia through her, a small part of her missing the days when she'd run around with it on by Thomas and John's sides; doing all the bad things they had done.

'It still suits you,' James spoke as he leant in the doorway.

Sadie jumped and turned to look at him, 'I was just playing around.'

'No, keep it on. It might come in handy soon.'

She still took it off anyway, placing it on the bedpost before she watched Daniel toddle out of the room to explore.

'I miss it, too,' The boy stated as he walked into the room with his gaze wandering.

'I never sa-' She started.

'Ah, but your face says it all. I know how to read you, Sayd. Just as you, I.'

'I just... I miss when we were a family. Not broken halves glued together with mud because we all said fucking peace.'

'I know.'

'I miss John... Every single fucking part of this town is full of memories with him and it just... It hurts so fucking bad. And I know, I should be over it because of the funeral... But, he was our fucking best friend, Jimmy. Our brother. And now, he's gone because I couldn't save him.'

'No, no, no. Eh? Come here.'

She stepped into his chest with tears rolling down her cheeks, wrapping her arms tight around his torso.

'It's not your fault, Sadie. Don't you dare think that, ever,' James whispered; 'It's not your fault.'

He stared down at her emotionless face and broken eyes, his eyes following the tears that slid slowly down her cheeks and onto the sleeve of his shirt.

'It's not your fault,' He whispered again.

They stayed like that for what seemed liked hours, not moving from each other's arms. Sadie eventually closed her eyes, revelling in the warmth surrounding her. They both jumped when two hands hit each of their legs, Daniel using them to help himself stand before he looked up at them through the dim lighting. James chuckled, his dimples making an appearance as he leant down to pick the child up.