39

>>>>>>

>>>>>>

The office was quiet as Sadie continued to work through the books, waiting for Arthur if he showed up. James and Thomas had gone to check the warehouse, Will supposed to be with Edward and Flossie at home. She was nervous being alone, but she had her gun laid in her lap waiting to be used if needed. Her head snapped when the door slamming shut echoed throughout the building, her whole body stilling.

She grabbed her gun and stood slowly, stalking toward the door of her office with her hand heavy on the trigger. Her eyes moved around the office, removing the safety from the gun with a low click. She walked forward slowly, her gaze never stilling before her eyes landed on someone sitting in Thomas' office. She stepped up to the window and sighed, puting her saftey back on when she saw it was only Arthur.

'Fuck me, Arthur,' She muttered as she stepped into the room.

'Uh, sorry, Sadie,' He stammered.

'You alright?'

He didn't reply as he took a sip from a bottle of whiskey he had in his hand, more voices sounded in the office now as the men started work. She peeked out the door, placing her gun in her dress pocket.

'Anyone seen Arthur?' Thomas called as he strode into the office; 'Eh?'

'In here, Thomas,' She called.

He strode in past her, pulling her into the room and shut the door behind him. He marched over to his desk and leant forward onto it, looking down at his older brother.

'If you're not going to show up for a family meeting, you let someone know,' He snapped; 'We thought you were dead, there's fifteen fucking Italians out there.'

'No, there's not, there's thirteen,' Arthur drawled; 'I just killed two of them. Ripped out their hearts and burnt their bones to ash.'

The pair looked at him wide eyed, watching as he took a drink from the bottle in his hand again.

'I did it,' He continued as he stood and strode toward Thomas' desk across the room where he stood; 'Me. Your brother. Not fucking Aberama Gold or his punch-drunk son. But me! Even if you don't trust me no more.'

'What the fuck are you talking about?' Thomas asked as he walked away; 'Arthur?'

'I got cleaned up at Ada's. She told me, you took a vote in my absence.'

'All right, calm down and tell me about the men you killed.'

'You put my job out for contract.'

'Arthur-'

'Yeah, well, I'm going to make it my fucking job anyway. Because this was all my fault. It was me that shot the old man-'

'Yeah, out of mercy.'