Chapter: 81 The Beginning of The Battle

Chapter: 81

Rosemary's POV:

"Ready the ship, Falkner. Get the crew. We are leaving." Connor spoke while boarding the vessel. I watch him as he walks up the plank and onto the main deck. My head tilted to the side while looking over at Falkner. He only shrugged his shoulders at me and I let out a soft sigh. He was fine this morning and since we came down here together. Connor has been tense and nervous. I can't really blame him. He has been worried about me ever since I said I was going last night. I meant it too. This was finally coming to an end. I can't believe our journey was coming to a close. It saddens me and I have so much on my shoulders. Even the incident with Benjamin. I guess I can actually let that go for now. Benjamin hasn't been back and it's probably because of me. 

With a shake of my head, I got onto the ship as well. All of this was going to end very soon. We were so close. A soft sigh escapes from my lips as Falkner did what Connor said. He got the sails ready and the crew was preparing the ship to leave the docking area. Connor was near the wheel and I watch him speak with Falkner on where we are going. Falkner nodded his head and he looks very grim. Connor nodded his head before walking over to the side of the ship. Falkner looks over to me and came down from the high deck to the main deck while speaking, "You should not be going along with this. This isn't a place for a lady."

"Falkner, I already told Connor that I am going. We are in this together. I may be a lady, but my hands are stain with the blood of our enemies. Therefore, I am not a common woman." I spoke to him while narrowing my eyes. 

He only let out a sigh, "Very well. You guys have your own reasons, but I don' want you to see you hurt. You are very different from the other women that I have encountered. I only wish to see you safe, Miss Rose. That is all."

A soft smile spread across my lips, "I will be fine, Falkner. I will keep out of danger as much as I can." 

He nodded his head, "All right. Please do that. If not for me, then for Connor." With that being said, he gave me a warm smile while gently clasping my shoulder before walking away. He heads up the high deck to steer the ship. Connor came over to me and wrapped his arms around me. 

"Are you sure you have to come with me on this trip?" He asked while pulling away from me a little to look at me with a raised eyebrow. 

"I told you and Falkner that we are in this together, Connor," I answer him while smiling loving up at him. 

He gave me a smile and gently lean down to press a kiss to my lips, "Whatever happens today. I will protect you, Rosemary."

I return his warm kiss and nodded my head, "I will do the same, Connor."

He chuckled while pulling away before taking my hand in his. He guided me up to the high deck while Aquila pulled away from the dock. We began our trip to the Chesapeake Bay. Connor tightens his hand on mine and I look up at him. His mouth was set into a grim line and I lean my head against his shoulder. He looks down at me with a worried expression and I gave him a reassuring smile. It was going to be okay. Wasn't it? 

Connor had gone down to the lower deck to change out his garments and into a patriot uniform with a tri-corn hat. A warm smile spread across my lips as he looks good in that outfit. I walk back over to him while speaking slowly and adjusting his lapels, "You look good, Connor." 

He smiles shyly at me and nodded his head, "I am glad that you approve, my love." 

My cheeks were burning badly as a smile spread across my lips and he places a kiss on my forehead before walking away. His hand lingering in mine until we departed for a little bit. He went back to the high deck while speaking to Falkner again. I went back to what I was doing. Making sure everything was in order. 

The ship was sailing smoothingly across the water as Connor took the hold of the wheel while I look around the main deck. Checking to see if anything needs tighten or if the crew needs help putting things in the cargo hold or the lower deck. Some of them assure me that they could handle it and not to have me worried my pretty little head off. Connor would have literally stuck him with his hidden blade if he had heard, but I only smile and thank them man before walking away. My stomach tightened at the thought of battle and how it was going to sway. It made me nervous and I didn't like the thought of Connor getting injured. We were heading there, but if I remember correctly. This was not where Charles Lee was, but his father would be waiting for him. 

I will have to wait patiently and to see what happens because my presence only stirred a little. Not much, but enough to make a difference. Connor was looking out into the sea while I walk back over to him. Falkner was talking about something with him, but I couldn't hear what he said thanks to the wind that drown out his words. There was a ship up ahead and the sound of battle. Instinctively, I went back up to the main deck and Connor was already reaching out for me. He took my hand in his and Falkner look over at me with a concern expression, but I didn't care what he thinks or anyone else's thoughts.

We pulled up next to another ship as the sound of battle was louder here. We anchor while putting the boarding dock between the two ships. Falkner gesture for us to get moving as there was a man in a blue and white uniform with a tri-corn hat waiting for us on the other ship. I took a deep breath while letting it out slowly. Connor guides us down to the main deck and over to the other ship that was waiting for us. The male that was standing there didn't look pleased with us at all. He spoke in a loose tongue as his words were heavily laced with a French accent, "Lafayette promised me a fleet beyond compare and a captain without a peer! Instead, I find myself greeted by one whole ship and a boy in a costume, not much less a female in the middle of a battleground."

Connor narrowed his eyes at the man while speaking, "I promise we are all you need, Admiral."

He rolled his eyes before speaking, "I doubt this very much. But beggars do not choose, hmm?"

Connor asked while tightening his grip on my hand and I patiently waited until both of them were done, "And the ships that I require?"

He looks away from Connor and turning slightly to face our ship while speaking, "They are yours provided that we survive this."

Connor asked him, "And what would you have us do?"

He looks over at us while assessing before speaking, "Hold the bay while I engage the first fleet. Should any British ships dare approach, destroy them. They must be kept from Yorktown."

Connor and I nodded in sync before we walk off of his ship and back onto ours. I wasn't breathing properly as the sound of battle was ringing in my ears and I was becoming seriously nervous by all of this. I shouldn't have come, but I wasn't about to let Connor into this mess without me next to his side. It wasn't long before we head out on the rough water. Destruction was everywhere and Falkner had pointed them out to us. There were ships already on fire and sinking into the water. Connor looks over at me and spoke, "Stay next to me and we'll get through this."

"Yeah, if the Admiral returns to us." Falkner made a scoffing noise while we sail into the battle with our allies. There was yelling that was coming from everywhere. There was the sound of cannon fire coming from somewhere nearby. Not quite sure where they were coming from, but every time they would go off. I would jump. It was like when went to get Church, but this was much worst than that. Was it possible that all of us going to die? My heart was pounding fast in my chest as there was a sound of a bell going off. Enemy ships were in sight. 

Connor looks down at me while releasing my hand to take the wheel with both of his hands. So, the battle had begun. It wasn't looking like they were going to let up anytime soon. There was a bunch of boats heading in our direction. Falkner was giving out orders as I stood there in terror. Not quite sure what I had gotten myself into. This was going to be a long battle. 

Comment, Vote!

Let me know what you guys think?!

Thank you! :D